Reports to: Director, Cell Biology
Working within the Company’s Cell Biology Team, the Scientist/Senior Scientist is responsible for contributing to Fractyl’s pipeline programs with a primary focus on our cell and gene therapy initiatives. Successful candidates will be integral to discovering and developing the next generation of cell therapies centered on treating unmet needs due to metabolic disease. The position requires enthusiasm, passion, attention to detail, team-orientation and an entrepreneurial spirit, and a desire to overcome obstacles to drive forward the program.
- Contribute to the cell therapy program to culture and engineer cells of the GI-tract with properties that elicit important biological effects for disease targets.
- Design and optimize in-vitro assays to assess cell function, and establish preclinical models to evaluate efficacy and safety.
- Identify and bring to Fractyl new technology to improve the therapeutic potential of non-modified and modified cell products.
- Drive forward program goals to meet team objectives, working closely with CROs and internal teams.
- Bring a “can do” spirit to work and deliver on other responsibilities as assigned.
Education or Certification Requirements
- PhD in relevant research field preferred (or a Masters with 5+ years of industry experience in a highly-related research field).
Professional Work Experience
- Experience in biotech and/or pharmaceutical industries preferred but not required.
- Prefer 10+ years of related experience either in an academic or industry environment
Qualifications and Skills
- Extensive experience in mammalian cell culture, transfection, and cell based assays, including expertise in stem cell and organoid culture (or similar)
- Experience and willingness to work with small and large animal models to derive tissue samples and test stem cell survival and function in vivo
- Proficient in flow cytometry, IHC, IF, including sample preparation and analysis
- Proficient in molecular biology techniques, such as PCR and cloning, including assay design
- Track record of challenging oneself to enhance scientific abilities
Other Essentials and Key Success Factors:
- Successful track record of working in high-growth and dynamic organizations
- Demonstrated record of intellectual curiosity, innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to lead fast-paced projects with a keen sense of urgency to get the job done well
- Evidence of "hands-on" experience and expertise
- Proven and successful track record as a team-player and collaborator in small working environments
- Self-motivated and the ability to work independently while working towards common team goals
- Highly organized and detail oriented with a passion to deliver quality results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience translating technical concepts into user-friendly documentation
- Highest levels of professionalism, confidence, personal values and ethical standards
- Some travel (both local and international) for conferences and meetings with external partners may be needed. Local travel for CRO engagement and management will be required.
The description and requirements outlined above are general; additional requirements may apply.