The Sr. Controller works closely with senior management as a key contributor to furthering the strategic and operational financial infrastructure at Fractyl. S/he brings hands‐on experience in various facets and is accountable for the management, transactional, reporting and compliance deliverables within accounting operations, internal controls, financial policies and procedures, stock administration and payroll functions. The Sr. Controller participates in treasury and FP&A functions. S/he partners with management and other project managers as part of the planning and execution of financial strategic plans and the implementation of operating systems. The Sr. Controller leads a small team and maintains the department’s budget. S/he is expected to be a driven and self‐motivated individual who welcomes challenge in a small but growing organization.
Strategic and Leadership
- Develop/expand finance‐related infrastructure and work closely with senior group leaders to implement and evolve these as needed to meet strategic and operational business needs.
- Oversee financial and accounting compliance matters (private‐ and public‐company), maintaining controls throughout the business to safeguard company assets and identify potential risks in a timely manner.
- Support all major company transactions (funding, partnerships, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, etc.).
- In close collaboration with the CFO, plan and prepare materials for Board of Director presentations, meeting/exceeding timeline expectations.
- Develop and implement the necessary financial infrastructure and policies in support of commercialization efforts, meeting/exceeding expansion timelines.
- Assist the CFO in developing corporate policies and procedures.
- Implement ERP system, working closely with cross‐functional groups and leaders to develop and implement streamlined processes, and report on financial and non‐financial metrics.
- Build relationships cross‐functionally to foster collaboration both inside and outside of Finance & Accounting teams.
- Lead the assigned team, establishing group structure, mentoring and developing staff, and meeting departmental budget.
- Maintain and ensure financial reporting, policies, procedures and internal controls are aligned with the US GAAP and other applicable regulatory requirements.
- Prepare statutory and compliance‐related filings.
- Oversee cost accounting and execute on the related matters such as, conducting variance analysis, comparing expenses/costs with plans and trends, determining related key business drivers, identifying gaps and helping develop plans/processes/procedures for improvement.
- Identify and implement financial systems as appropriate.
- Implement practices and processes as needed, evolving each to meet changing business needs.
- Manage all accounting operations, ensuring accuracy and adherence to GAAP.
- Develop and maintain banking relationships.
- Serve as the primary liaison to external accountants and banks, developing and maintaining relationships.
- Manage annual audit and tax return preparations.
Equity and Payroll Management
- Implement equity management system, and maintain equity capitalization table and equity records.
- Manage global payroll systems, practices and processes.
- Work closely with Human Resources on resourcing needs and establish international operations, as needed.
- Bring a “can-do” spirit to work and deliver on other responsibilities as assigned.
Education or Certification Requirements
- MBA in Accounting or Finance required; other education or certifications (e.g. CPA) preferred.
Professional Work Experience
- 15+ years of hands‐on experience in accounting and finance positions with progressive responsibility and success.
- Experience in biotech, pharmaceutical and/or medical device industries, particularly clinical trial accounting required.
- Experience with IPO/Public Company requirements preferred.
- Prior vocational experience in related fields a plus (i.e. Co-Ops, Internships, Fellowships, etc.).
Qualifications and Skills
- Detailed working experience with financial management, cost accounting and inventory controls required.
- Advanced hands‐on computer skills necessary (MSOffice Suite, accounting software packages including ERP systems, equity systems, and expense software); experience with ADP payroll system a plus.
Other Essentials and Key Success Factors:
- Successful track record of working in high-growth and dynamic organizations.
- Demonstrated record of intellectual curiosity, innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to lead fast-paced projects with a keen sense of urgency to get the job done well
- Evidence of "hands-on" experience and expertise.
- Proven and successful track record as a team-player and collaborator in small working environments
- Highly organized and detail oriented with a passion to deliver quality results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience translating technical concepts into user-friendly documentation.
- Highest levels of professionalism, confidence, personal values and ethical standards.
- May be required to travel as needed.
The description and requirements outlined above are general; additional requirements may apply.