Reports to: Controller
This position accurately and timely records financial transactions in the general ledger, including performing the Company’s accounts payable functions and assisting the Controller with the monthly financial close. Additionally, s/he participates in process improvement projects and assists with ad hoc projects as assigned by the Controller and CFO. The GL Accountant/AP Specialist is competent in applying the Company’s accounting policies and makes sound judgments relating to expense accruals, prepaid and fixed assets capitalization. The individual is self‐motivated and proactive in learning new skill sets required in a fast-paced, small but growing dynamic organization.
- Review and route invoices to the appropriate approver(s) within two business days of receipts of invoices
- Enter approved invoices in QuickBooks timely and accurately and ensure that QuickBooks captures the appropriate G/L coding, invoice due date and sufficient documentation and approvals in accordance with the company’s stated policies and procedures
- Respond to invoice/payment inquiries from internal and external stakeholders within two business days of receipts of corresponding inquiries
- Process weekly employee expense reimbursements via Expensify and monitor that the company’s travel and expense policy has been appropriately complied by employees and contractors
- Reconcile cash on a weekly basis and prepare/distribute the weekly cash burn and PO reports
- Maintain vendor master files in QuickBooks including setting up new vendors with appropriate credit terms, vendor category and ensuring W-9 forms are current and the 1099 vendors are appropriately identified and updated in QuickBooks
- Perform monthly close procedures including G/L account reconciliations for assigned accounts.
- Monitor/record the company’s credit card use and documentation on a weekly basis.
- Provide administrative support including but not limited to opening of mail, scanning and filing of documents.
- Ensure the company’s compliance with state sales and use tax compliance at the transactional level and prepare the company’s periodic sales and use tax analyses and related return under supervision
- Prepare expense accrual as assigned in conjunction with monthly financial close
- Prepare annual Form 1099 filing under supervision
- Take on progressive responsibilities in the coordination of annual financial audit
- Manage the monthly AP KPI and participate in assigned process improvement projects
- Assist with ERP and other system implementation as assigned
- Contribute to team objectives by accomplishing assigned tasks as needed
- Bring a “can do” spirit to work and deliver on other responsibilities as assigned.
Education or Certification Requirements
- BS in Accounting or related disciplines required; higher education and other certifications preferred.
Professional Work Experience
- 2+ years of experience in accounting/finance positions
- Experience in biotech, pharmaceutical and/or medical device industries preferred.
- Prior vocational experience in related fields a plus (i.e. Co-Ops, Internships, Fellowships, etc.).
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience with accrual based accounting and general understanding of US GAAP
- Excellent computer skills (i.e. MS Office Suite)
Other Essentials and Key Success Factors:
- Strong financial acumen and analytical agility
- Successful track record of working in high-growth and dynamic organizations
- Demonstrated record of intellectual curiosity, innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial spirit
- Ability to lead fast-paced projects with a keen sense of urgency to get the job done well
- Evidence of "hands-on" experience and expertise
- Proven and successful track record as a team-player and collaborator in small working environments
- Highly organized and detail oriented with a passion to deliver quality results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience translating technical concepts into user-friendly documentation
- Highest levels of professionalism, confidence, personal values and ethical standards
- No travel required for this position.
The description and requirements outlined above are general; additional requirements may apply.