The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for the design and implementation of software at Fractyl. S/he works cross functionally to maintain and enhance existing code that meets or exceeds performance, quality, and cost goals for the team. The Engineer will also develop new code for various stages of the business as appropriate. S/he works side-by-side with software, electrical and mechanical engineers to design and write software that is production quality and meets regulatory & industry standards. The Engineer contributes to product design & development, testing, risk analysis, design for reliability, and design for manufacturability of existing and next generation medical device products.
- Work with the engineering team to design and implement software for current and next generation products.
- Research and select communication protocols.
- Research, select and implement languages, tools, technologies and architectures that are best suited to the software being developed.
- As the project owner, design and develop processes in all product development phases including: specification, implementation, testing, documentation, maintenance and support.
- Create and maintain product design documentation in accordance with FDA QSR regulations.
- Conduct design reviews and effectively communicate and collect feedback on the impact of design changes throughout each stage of product development.
- Participate in the development of patents and other intellectual property related to Company products.
- Work within Company ECO process to coordinate design changes and documentation.
- Bring a “can do” spirit to work and deliver on other responsibilities as assigned.
Education or Certification Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Science, or equivalent experience
Professional Work Experience
- 5+ years of progressive and hands-on experience designing and developing commercial software in C#.
- Hands-on experience developing software for use in medical devices with adherence to FDA and EU guidelines or similar experience developing software in a regulated industry is a plus.
- Experience in biotech, pharmaceutical and/or medical device industries preferred.
- Prior vocational experience in related fields a plus (i.e. Co-Ops, Internships, Fellowships, etc.)
Qualifications and Skills
- Experience with WPF and C# is required.
- Experience designing and programming several desktop applications.
- Experience building multi-threaded applications.
- Experience with design patterns and experience with architecture patterns such as MVC, MVVM, including
- dependency injection.
- Demonstrated continuous learning, and application of, new languages, technologies and tools.
- Experience developing applications that incorporate 3rd party libraries and UI components.
- Experience with Git.
- Exposure to or experience developing embedded software or firmware is a plus.
- Experience interfacing with hardware via serial communication protocols is a plus.
- Unit test development and maintenance is a plus.
- Experience with configuring and maintaining a continuous integration system is a plus.
Other Essentials and Key Success Factors:
- Able to work under minimum supervision and be self-directed.
- Experience and track record of working to a schedule that required completing tasks and achieving milestones on time.
- Successful track record of working in high-growth and dynamic organizations.
- Demonstrated record of intellectual curiosity, innovation and creative problem solving with an entrepreneurial spirit.
- Ability to lead fast-paced engineering projects with a keen sense of urgency to get the job done well.
- Evidence of “hands-on” experience and expertise.
- Proven and successful track record as a team-player and collaborator in small working environments.
- Highly organized and detail oriented with a passion to deliver quality results.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, with experience translating technical concepts into user-friendly documentation.
- Highest levels of professionalism, confidence, personal values and ethical standards.
- Minimal travel may be required on an infrequent basis.
The description and requirements outlined above are general; additional requirements may apply.