Foundry.ai is seeking full-stack software engineers at all seniority levels.
Foundry.ai is a technology fund/studio that creates AI software companies in partnership with large global enterprises. Backed by ~$100m in capital from leading private equity and venture capital partners, we focus relentlessly on ‘practical’ applications of AI that cut through the hype cycle and drive immediate, measurable, and recurring improvements to financial performance. Our unique demand-driven model ensures we are developing products that solve real-world business problems for large organizations.
Foundry.ai has launched multiple operating companies to date through this innovative approach, and we are in the process of creating more. Once an operating company is created, it is staffed with key personnel and scales aggressively, with the benefit of referenceable customers, validated product-market fit, and the institutional backing of the Foundry.ai executive team and broader ecosystem.
The Full-Stack Software Engineer will participate as a key team member in envisioning, designing, coding, testing and improving the products that are central to our mission as a company. He/she will work in continual collaboration with data scientists and partner company stakeholders.
The Full-Stack Software Engineer will wear many hats. Some key challenges will include:
- Working with a modern tech stack built on AWS with Python, Node.js, Terraform, Docker and Typescript
- Building new front-end and back-end features, working with UX designers to create delightful and highly-performant products
- Instilling best practices into the development process, including automated testing, code organization and style, and application architecture within an agile environment
- Evaluating potential new technologies
- Writing code that builds new companies and products
The Successful Candidate
A successful candidate will be comfortable in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, but one that is focused on developing reusable software applications, not bespoke analytical solutions.
The programming languages and tools used most frequently at Foundry.ai are: Python, SQL, Node.JS, R, Github, AWS, Docker and shell scripts. We do not expect candidates to be experts in all of these, although a strong proficiency in Python and the ability to learn new languages as needed are common.
For an entry level position, he/she will likely have many of the following characteristics:
- A full-stack generalist with 2+ years experience building applications
- Proven ability in writing clean, scalable code with significant experience in one or more programming languages
- Solid knowledge of programming fundamentals - algorithms, data structures, design patterns, and paradigms
- Excited to move fast and know how to prioritize and make critical decisions
- Comfortable with and curious about working outside of a traditional narrow engineering role
- A self-starter: you have started something on your own before -- an open-source project, a new project within a company, a start-up, or something else
- Can effectively communicate software engineering issues to business professionals, and business issues to software engineers
Senior candidates will often differentiate themselves with some of the following:
- Proven capability in creating a successful software product; owning/implementing key decisions on features, architecture, scaling, and profitability. Particularly in AI or solving a novel problem
- Experience planning and executing work modules that span several months
- Broad skillset that blurs the lines between software engineering and data science
- Exceptional computational background (e.g, significant contribution to libraries/modules and/or has a relevant PhD)
- Exceptional business background (e.g., managing client relationships and scoping projects while leading an engineering team, and/or MBA from a leading program)
Finally, we highlight that excellence has no single mold, particularly in a field as rapidly evolving as AI when looking for candidates that mix business intuition with coding skills. We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds.
- Very strong CS, math, physics or similar degree from a leading program. PhD and MBA applicants actively considered
- Extremely high SAT or similar standardized test scores