Foundry.ai is seeking data scientist interns.
Foundry.ai is a technology fund/studio that creates AI software companies in partnership with large global enterprises. Backed by ~$100m in capital from leading private equity and venture capital partners, we focus relentlessly on ‘practical’ applications of AI that cut through the hype cycle and drive immediate, measurable, and recurring improvements to financial performance. Our unique demand-driven model ensures we are developing products that solve real-world business problems for large organizations.
Foundry.ai has launched multiple operating companies to date through this innovative approach, and we are in the process of creating more. Once an operating company is created, it is staffed with key personnel and scales aggressively, with the benefit of referenceable customers, validated product-market fit, and the institutional backing of the Foundry.ai executive team and broader ecosystem.
The Data Scientist will participate as a key team member in envisioning, designing, coding, testing and improving the algorithms that are central to our mission as a company. He/she will work in continual collaboration with software engineers and partner company stakeholders.
Some key challenges will include:
- Identifying external datasets and developing API or other methods for accessing them
- Fluidly self-educating on existing methods for modeling end-user behavior in a variety of contexts, or developing new methods for doing this when necessary
- Designing experiments to answer targeted questions
- Teaming with developers to embed algorithms in applications
- Understanding business economics, user motivation and other contextual information in order to guide analytical trade-offs, with a focus on “minimum viable algorithm” followed by intensive, iterative improvement
- Writing code that builds new companies and products
The Successful Candidate
A successful candidate will be comfortable in a fluid, entrepreneurial environment, but one that is focused on developing reusable software applications, not bespoke analytical solutions.
The programming languages and tools used most frequently at Foundry.ai are: Python, SQL, Node.JS, R, Github, AWS, Docker and shell scripts. We do not expect candidates to be experts in all of these, although a strong proficiency in Python and the ability to learn new languages as needed are common.
For an internship, he/she will likely have many of the following characteristics:
- Experience using statistical software, relational and NoSQL databases and scripting languages
- Familiar with general-purpose machine learning methods, such as neural networks, Bayesian networks, regression, decision trees and so on. Capable of self-teaching new algorithmic methods easily
- Passionate about using data to drive strategy and business recommendation
- Well-rounded top performer who is able to “crunch the numbers” one minute, and critically think through strategic issues the next.
- Excited to move fast and know how to prioritize and make critical decisions
- A self-starter: you have started something on your own before -- an open-source project, a new project within a company, a start-up, or something else
- Able to communicate as effectively when delivering complex data-driven findings to businesspeople, as when discussing machine-learning specifications with engineers
Candidates will often differentiate themselves with some of the following:
- Proven capability in applying machine learning methods to novel problems and driving quantifiable gains in outcome
- Experience planning and executing work modules that span several months
- Broad skillset that blurs the lines between data science and software engineering
- Exceptional computational background (e.g., developed new algorithms and/or has a relevant PhD)
- Exceptional business background (e.g., managing client relationships on technical projects, experience at a top-tier consultancy and/or MBA from a leading program)
Finally, we highlight that excellence has no single mold, particularly in a field as rapidly evolving as AI when looking for candidates that mix business intuition with coding skills. We welcome applications from candidates with diverse backgrounds.
- Very strong math, physics, CS or similar degree from a leading program. PhD and MBA applicants actively considered
- Extremely high SAT or similar standardized test scores
Foundry.ai is a technology studio that creates AI software companies in partnership with the Global 2000. We focus on practical applications of AI that drive immediate, measurable and recurring improvements to business performance.
We have backgrounds in enterprise software-as-a-service, data science, software engineering, finance, math, game theory and business strategy. We use small, highly-focused, interdisciplinary teams to design, prototype and concept-test ideas across multiple industries including healthcare, procurement, media and retail. The constant is always data and math-based value creation.
We have $100MM of funding from some of the world’s most successful venture and private equity partners. Thus far, our collaborations have led to four successful companies and millions of dollars in incremental profit for partners and clients.