This is a terrific opportunity for a smart and collaborative software professional to step into a technical management position and lead one of our talented development squads. Recently named the 3rd fastest-growing company in Massachusetts, we are at the forefront of growth in the financial technology space.
As the Lead Software Engineer you will be in charge of managing one of our full-stack agile development teams, developing and architecting robust and scalable modern web solutions, partnering with leadership and product to solve complex business problems, creating ways to advance our technology suite, and implementing best engineering practices.
In this role you will:
- Lead the team technically by building new solutions to drive sustainable and measurable value to the business by:
- Developing web applications, libraries, systems integrations and microservices
- Partnering closely with your product owner to define the technical requirements and implementation plan to satisfy the business objectives
- Provide hands-on management for your engineering squad, and create the foundation for a high-performing, agile unit that can scale to meet the strong demand and exciting opportunities resulting from our explosive growth
- Actively contribute to the simplification, security, and fortification of the platform by:
- Avoiding bugs in correctness-critical areas of the code base
- Finding solutions to increase the testability, engineering ease and extendibility of services across the ecosystem
- Developing components that are well-designed, documented and tested, with a design that matches the desired architecture of the system
- Increase the productivity, predictability and throughput of the technology team by:
- Participating in, following and improving our development process
- Using good judgment when evaluating tradeoffs between speed, quality and cost
- Embracing and sharing best practices, domain knowledge, documentation and learning
- Contribute to the Forward Financing culture and serving as a positive ambassador for the technology team
- Passionate: High energy. “Can-do-attitude”. Optimistic, open, and objective toward others.
- Coachable: Open to feedback and continual professional improvement. Flexible and adaptable
- High Standards: Quality orientation. Follow through on commitments. A Doer who gets things done
- Efficient: Producing significant output with minimal wasted effort, organized planning and prioritization
- Proactive: Self-starter, continually seeks additional responsibilities. willingness to go the distance to get something done, including working long hours at times if needed
- Collaborative: Strong “people orientation”. Can disagree without being abrasive or intimidating. Team player
- Emotional Intelligence: high degree of self-awareness. Handles interpersonal relationships judiciously and empathetically. Exercises good judgement while under pressure
- Communicator: Speaks and writes clearly and articulately without being overly verbose or talkative and possesses an openness to people and a willingness to hear what others are saying.
- Experience mentoring other engineers or taking on informal leadership responsibilities (formal management experience not required)
- Experience architecting or developing across complex systems (service oriented architecture would be a plus)
- Experience managing data and application security requirements (including solid SQL or PostgreSQL/ relational DB experience)
- AWS and microservices experience is a plus
- Strong communication skills among engineers and stakeholders
- Experience working in a high-performing agile environment
- Experience with multi-team planning and coordination
- Experience delivering measurable business value through engineering
Forward Financing is a Boston-based financial technology company that provides fast, flexible, and reliable working capital to small and medium-size businesses nationwide. By combining proprietary technology with a team of small business financing experts, Forward Financing delivers same day funding with the speed and simplicity business owners need to succeed and grow. With a simple online application, businesses can trust Forward Financing for approvals within minutes, funding within hours, and personalized support and service when they need it most.
Since 2012, Forward Financing has provided over $400m in funding to more than 10,000 small businesses. Consistently recognized as an industry leader, the company is A+ rated by the Better Business Bureau and receives top ratings across all major customer review platforms. In 2017 and 2018, Forward Financing was named by Inc. Magazine and the Boston Business Journal as one of the fastest growing companies in Massachusetts. Learn more at www.forwardfinancing.com
At Forward Financing, we believe that if our company succeeds, all of our employees succeed too! We offer a competitive compensation package for highly qualified candidates that are extremely motivated, have a positive attitude, and are able to ramp up quickly. We offer a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, vision and commuter benefits along with gym reimbursement, 401K, paid volunteering days and a matching gift program. We work in an open environment with a start-up vibe, conveniently located just steps away from South Station and conveniently located to all major "T" lines. You will have the opportunity to work with people who enjoy a fun, social office culture, as well as wonderful engineers all over the world.