About Foresite Capital
Foresite Capital is a healthcare and life sciences investment firm with a multidisciplinary team of scientists, engineers, analysts, clinicians, subject matter experts, and specialists in various disciplines. We work together in a highly collaborative environment, with all investments getting attention from each member of our investment team. Roles at Foresite Capital offer exposure to multiple firms in the healthcare and life sciences industry, and the opportunity to collaborate with top-tier experts in the life sciences, data science and financial industries. We offer competitive salaries, excellent benefits, a flexible work environment, and the opportunity to learn from top thinkers in various disciplines. Foresite Capital is headquartered in San Francisco with satellite offices in New York, Philadelphia and San Rafael. If you’re a data scientist with a strong background in statistics and biology, let’s talk.
Foresite Capital’s data science team combines statistical genetics with biological knowledge and cutting-edge computation to make drug development safer and more efficient. We engage in translational research, transforming academic insights into robust industrial tools. We develop novel statistical and machine learning methods to produce rigorous, reliable causal insights at scale. Our work supports critical decisions and provides the core around which new ideas can be realized and incubated.
We are looking for data scientists with deep biological expertise to join our team. We offer a flexible work environment, a diverse set of projects, and a best-in-class peer group to learn from. This is a great opportunity to tackle a unique set of problems while shaping the future of healthcare.
- Analyze large-scale human genetic and biological data to produce rigorous, reproducible insights
- Translate best-in-class and in-house developed methods into hardened workflows and systems
- Develop methods that combine statistical genetics with cutting-edge machine learning techniques, bringing deep statistical rigor to bear in critical biological and pharmacological problems
- Evaluate potential investments through deep technical diligence
- Distribute tools and results through software and publications
- PhD or equivalent in a quantitative field (e.g., statistics, computer science, computational biology, bioinformatics, or mathematics).
- 4-10+ years of relevant work experience following PhD. Industry experience preferred but not essential.
- Applied experience with machine learning on biological datasets, including deep engagement with biological subject matter and validation. Experience with human population genetics, functional genomics, and/or drug development are desired.
- Experience with statistical software (e.g., R, pandas, sklearn), scripting languages (e.g., Python), and database languages (e.g., SQL). Experience with C/C++ and Spark is relevant but not essential.
- Rigorous statistical intuition, deep understanding of core statistical principles, and extensive experience with core methods (e.g., linear regression, GLMs, dimensionality reduction, tree-based models, bootstrapping, maximum likelihood estimation, and Bayesian modeling).
- Track record of published collaborative research in biology or related fields preferred.
Foresite Capital is an equal opportunity employer. We thrive on diversity and collaboration.
Please submit a complete CV, not an abbreviated résumé.