FON Advisors seeks a talented, data-focused individual to join our team as an Applied Data Scientist. In this role, you will use exploratory data analysis to provide innovative solutions to complex problems. The successful candidate will collaborate with colleagues and clients to gain an understanding of the business concerns unique to each project and develop data science solutions to meet each unique need. You will apply your knowledge of statistics, machine learning, programming, simulation, and advanced mathematics to recognize patterns, identify opportunities, pose business questions, and make actionable discoveries that lead to improvements that have a significant financial impact on the firm and its clients. You can expect to participate in the full lifecycle of data science, including project conception, data collection, modeling, presentation of results, and model refinement.
The Applied Data Scientist position is open to individuals who can:
- Solve a variety of problems though data science techniques
- Apply the scientific method to scope study questions, generate hypotheses, conduct experiments, and find solutions
- Prototype new techniques in support of project needs
- Identify processes for automation
- Understand the caveats, context, and story of the data
- Deliver projects to support client needs
- Distill qualitative and quantitative insight to communicate compelling stories
This role will challenge a data scientist with a variety of problems ranging from data mining to model building to process development. General skills include: statistics, programming, and communication. The Applied Data Scientist must be able to lead projects, perform technical analysis, and provide insights directly to clients.
- Manipulating large relational databases containing structured data via MySQL and other versions of SQL
- Pulling and manipulating data from large unstructured databases
- Conducting text analytics on large sets of unstructured text
- Scripting in Python
- Creating visualizations in multiple visualizations tools including Tableau and R
- Conducting statistical analysis using a variety of statistical tools and platforms including R
- Building conceptual models to show problem solving methodology
- Building statistical models in order to identify significant variables in a process
- Clear communication of ideas, including building presentations, writing reports, presenting findings to clients, and presenting research at conferences
- Advising business partners on advanced capabilities and new testing scenarios
- Assisting in the documentation of requirements, use cases, user stories, test plans, and test scripts required to ensure data science solutions are developed and tested to fit intended purpose, meet the needs of the business, and are operationally sustainable
- Active TS/SCI with Full Scope Poly
- Technical Requirements:
- Advanced degree in an analytical or technical field
- Familiarity with structured and unstructured data storage systems, such as HBASE or Cassandra
- Experience (complete projects) using programming languages such as Python and R to complete projects involving data processing combined with statistical analysis
- Experience processing text data for text analytics (tokenization, word counting, clustering, etc.)
- Familiarity with at least three social media forms
- Capable of learning new programming languages and software with minimal training, i.e. familiar with online education services and technical discussion boards
- Operating Environment
- The Applied Data Scientist is a team player working with clients, analysts, account managers, and research data scientists
- Candidates should thrive in a dynamic environment with the expectation of new problems every few months and automation of any understood processes
- Accepting, processing, and acting on feedback is critical for the Applied Data Scientist
Travel may be required both inside and outside the Washington National Capital Region (NCR).
FON Advisors is proud to serve as a trusted advisor to government agencies, corporations, and investors. We help clients stay at the forefront of innovation so they can achieve their strategic goals. We work with mission driven organizations, helping businesses and government agencies operate and procure more effectively. We have decades of experience creating non-traditional approaches to government procurement that drive sustainable solutions for mission critical requirements. We excel at helping clients clearly articulate their portfolio of innovations to create new markets for their technology, optimizing existing products to broaden current revenue opportunities, and providing timely information to focus strategic capital deployment.
FON Advisors is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. We foster a collaborative and inspiring workplace. We pride ourselves on recruiting, hiring, and retaining diverse, passionate, and forward-thinking talent. We are committed to an inclusive environment and are dedicated to providing equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, citizenship, pregnancy, marital status, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristics protected by law.