Flytedesk is a high-growth technology start-up based in Boulder, Colorado. We’re the largest network of student media in the U.S. and we work with over 650 campuses. We’re a Techstars ‘15 company, backed by the founders of CP+B, SpotX, and AOL. We reach over 17MM students and work with brands and causes like Jimmy John’s, Venmo, the Peace Corps, Vote.org, Everytown for Gun Safety, and nearly every major presidential campaign.
Overview & Responsibilities
We’re college newspaper nerds – and that informs everything that we do. Our summer internship program gives you the opportunity to be in control of a strategic project for 10 weeks, building products that will be used by our member newspapers across the country.
Each intern will have a direct manager in the department relevant to their project. This person will be available throughout the summer to answer questions and provide professional development opportunities.
We started flytedesk because we have a thorough distaste for “how things have always been done”, and believe in the power of student journalism and that young people change the world. The people who are most successful at flytedesk exemplify three core values:
- Tenacious - there’s no better feeling than building what others thought impossible. We are a collection of people who are willing to do whatever it takes to make our vision a reality, leaving only happy clients in our wake. This is not a job for people who are not 100% committed. Being on the ground floor and in the trenches of a high-growth startup takes dedication to the cause.
- Creative - we don’t do things like everyone else. We choose to be remarkable, surprising, and go above and beyond. We take chances and make big bets. We anticipate needs, markets, and better experiences; and then we build them. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and can be considered quirky - but we like our family just the way it is.
- Honest - there is no time for anything else. We treat each other with candor and kindness. Everyone in the company knows our mission, goals, progress, and challenges at all times. Everyone is accountable and we all like it that way.
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfort using Excel to manage and manipulate large sets of data, as well as Microsoft Word and Google Suite
- Attention to detail - the projects you’ll be working on are critical to the company's success, you will be counted on to complete your projects in a timely and accurate manner
- Highly accountable and trustworthy - we’re a small team and each person has to do their part
- Student media experience
Nice to have, but not required
- Previous experience using Slack, Trello, Airtable, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, or Google Analytics.
- Leadership experience in student media
The Fine Print
- This internship is open to rising sophomores, juniors, seniors, and graduate students
- This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) for 10 weeks
- May 27th – August 5th, 2020
- This position is based out of our Boulder, Colorado office
- flytedesk is an At-Will and Equal Opportunity Employer