flytedesk is the full-service ad buying platform that is transforming college media by connecting brands and college students via an online media buying platform. As the largest media network of college students in the U.S., flytedesk allows advertisers to reach 20 million students at scale across all on-campus media channels including print, digital, outdoor, social media, radio and more. flytedesk’s self-serve platform automates the college advertising experience by giving media buyers the tools to create, book, manage, and measure national campaigns in just minutes. flytedesk was founded in 2015 and is based in Boulder, Colorado.
Overview & Responsibilities
We are looking for an accounting intern rockstar to join the flytedesk team and help professionalize this important function. You will get to come in and help with all things accounting. Initially, you will:
- Facilitation of the company’s bookkeeping activities maintaining Chart of Accounts and General Ledger, including:
- Assist with process and recording of all customer invoicing to ensure that all receivables are collected in a timely manner.
- Assist with process and recording of all vendor billing to ensure payables are accurate and sent in a timely manner.
- Assisting with the company’s month-close accounting processes, including monthly reconciliations, prepaid expenses, A/P, A/R and other accrual entries.
- Assist with the annual financial statement audit and corporate income tax returns
You will report to Victoria Ramos, and work with Megan Harvey and Kit Summers.
We hire people, not functions. Startups are hard, and constantly changing, so you need to be able to carve out your own role to thrive at flytedesk. We look for self-starters, who can problem-solve as well as they can execute. We look for grit and kindred-spirits, we’re a family and we work for each other to get where we want to go. We don’t want to hire people who just fit into our culture, we want people who help shape it.
We’re asking you to spend a large portion of your life with us, so we want you to have a good time as you’re working hard to help build our collective future. That means endless snacks, a coffee shop house account, birthday parties, dogs in the office, and an expectation that we don’t take ourselves too seriously.
Our culture is built on a small, but core group of values. When we meet tension points, it’s easy to reference the following values and see what the right decision is. We make a point to call these out in our job descriptions because we’ve learned that someone whose values and motivations are aligned with flytedesk’s will most likely be successful at flytedesk (and vice versa). Please take the time to read and understand our values - they’re the biggest indicator if this is going to be a good match.
- Make it work - our biggest successes have come from doing things that couldn't be done, we are a collection of individuals who are willing to do what it takes
- Lean, rabid, hungry - we get excited at doing a lot with a little and are motivated by this mentality
- Remember why we started - flytedesk was founded on the idea of empowering student journalism, every decision we make is for the benefit of the publishers we work with
- Growth as a goal - we put the team ahead of the individual, are constantly asking better of ourselves and one another, and check our egos at the door to move the company forward
- Be all-in - to put it bluntly: this isn’t a job for people who aren’t 100% committed, being on the ground floor and in the trenches of a high-growth startup takes dedication to the cause
Skills & Qualities
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Comfort using Google Suite
- Attention to detail - the projects you’ll be working on are critical to the accounting team’s success, you will be counted on to complete your projects in a timely and accurate manner
- Highly accountable and trustworthy - we’re a small team and each person has to do their part.
Nice to have, but not required
- Bookkeeping experience
- Experience with QuickBooks online
The Fine Print
- This is a part-time position (20-25 hours/week)
- This position is based out of our Boulder office
- Starting ASAP
- flytedesk is an At-Will and Equal Opportunity Employer