Flytedesk helps brands, causes, and campaigns engage students at scale. We’re the largest network of college advertising in the U.S. and our technology powers college media organizations on over 700 campuses, with access to 1,300. It’s a single platform for advertisers to buy space in college newspapers, campus billboards, student websites… and every other type of media on campus.
We started with corporate advertisers – Nintendo, Trojan, Uniqlo, Headspace, Venmo, Dr Pepper, Jimmy John’s, Grubhub… all the folks you’d expect to target students. But our political practice has grown enormously during the past two cycles. We worked with some of the most influential candidate campaigns, the largest national advocacy groups, and CEOs of media agencies in 2018. You can read about some of our work with Vote.org in this Washington Post
article. We're believers that if you invest in students, they’ll turn out to vote, and today's youth are the biggest voting bloc in the electorate.
We love our political clients – the impact we’ve made for them is truly one of the most exciting parts of the business. Our political work is not grafted on for short-term gain; all of our efforts are focused on long-term partnerships with leaders in the community.
While this is absolutely a media sales job, we’re looking for someone that can channel our insights into a consultative approach with clients. We’re looking for someone that can speak authentically, from experience, to advocacy groups. We’re looking for someone with deep knowledge of the issues, that can find creative solutions for engaging young people.
And we’re still just a 4-year-old, 25-person startup, so we’re looking for someone that wants to build a company and is ready to take on the responsibility of leading one of our key initiatives. This is an opportunity to both join a growing startup and make a huge impact on our democracy by being a voice for college voters.
- Own all aspects of the political division, including: strategy, budget, pipeline, and acquisition as it relates to 2019 spend and 2020 primaries, conventions, etc.
- Manage both inbound leads as well as prospecting through our existing relationships, research, cold-calling, e-mailing and networking.
- Develop leads to build and maintain a strong pipeline, to generate new revenue.
- Quickly turn leads into programs that can be executed quickly - these clients tend to have short lead times.
- Build relationships vs sales transaction by understanding each customer’s goals, needs and challenges and be able to articulate what flytedesk and college media can deliver for them.
- Be able to put together and deliver presentations on the value of flytedesk, the college market, and college media.
- Collaborate with the publisher team and ad ops team to first articulate what the client’s needs are, and then set up expectations with the client so we can deliver the best experience.
Qualifications and Experience Required
- 3-5 years experience in political media sales at a platform, publisher, ad-tech provider or agency.
- Proficient in media planning and buying, understands the terminology and how the industry operates.
- Track record of meeting and exceeding expectations and sales goals.
- Close relationships with political media agencies, candidate campaigns, and/or advocacy groups. You don’t have to be the best networked person in the world but you do have to be able to call 3 previous clients on the spot and have them vouch for you.
Nice to have
- Comfortable working in scrappy environments, startups aren’t dissimilar from campaigns. Belief in the mission (our belief is creating a brighter future for college media) is what allows us to move mountains.
- Experience in college media is a HUGE plus, if you were the editor or ad manager of your college paper please apply even if you’re a bit light on the other qualifications.
You’ll report to Kim Buonassisi, our VP-Sales, but work closely with Alex Kronman, our CEO. Alex currently leads our political work and maintains the relationships with our political clients. You’ll also work closely with Alda Abbracciamento, our CMO. There will be plenty of opportunities to grow your team alongside revenue.
We started flytedesk because we have a thorough distaste for “how things have always been done”, and believe in the power of student journalism and that young people change the world. The people who are most successful at flytedesk exemplify three core values:
- Tenacious - there’s no better feeling than building what others thought impossible. We are a collection of people who are willing to do whatever it takes to make our vision a reality, leaving only happy clients in our wake. This is not a job for people who are not 100% committed. Being on the ground floor and in the trenches of a high-growth startup takes dedication to the cause.
- Creative - we don’t do things like everyone else. We choose to be remarkable, surprising, and go above and beyond. We take chances and make big bets. We anticipate needs, markets, and better experiences; and then we build them. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and can be considered quirky - but we like our family just the way it is.
- Honest - there is no time for anything else. We treat each other with candor and kindness. Everyone in the company knows our mission, goals, progress, and challenges at all times. Everyone is accountable and we all like it that way.
The Fine Print
- Salary DOE + commission + stock options
- This is a full-time position based out of DC, NY, or Boulder
- Starting April or May 2019
- Flytedesk is an At-Will and Equal Opportunity Employer
- Health, Vision and Dental Insurance (including FSA)
- LTD and Workers Compensation insurance
- Untracked PTO and holiday paid time off
- Annual professional development budget