Flytedesk is a fast-growing technology startup in Boulder, Colorado. We access over 2,000 colleges and universities and build the technology that powers media and advertising on college campuses. Flytedesk is backed by the founders of CP+B, SpotX, Datalogix, and AOL and works with brands, campaigns, and causes like Trojan, Venmo, Jimmy John's, Vote.org, NextGen America, Everytown for Gun Safety, Bernie Sanders, and more.
Overview & Responsibilities
This fall, the Flytedesk team expects to be very busy. In addition to the normal course of brand advertising work, we’ll be processing tons of political and advocacy advertising. 2020 will be one of the most consequential, competitive, and expensive election cycles in American history, and the youth vote has never been more critical. Elections and Advocacy is one of our favorite verticals and we partner with a ton of phenomenally inspiring organizations and candidates.
This fellowship is designed for individuals who care deeply about politics and media, and want to be on the front lines in 2020. We offer fair-warning that elections can be intense and very time intensive work, but this experience is an opportunity to make an impact by helping organizations reach and engage the important college audience. The Fellowship is designed to give hands-on experience with every type of media, as Flytedesk operate a multi-channel platform that includes: digital, print, social, outdoor, influencer, SMS, experiential, audio, and more, and will be a great crash course for future work in the media industry, at an advertising agency, or in politics.
Each fellow will be responsible for essential aspects of flytedesk’s campaign execution, including but not limited to:
- Verifying ad statuses and metrics daily
- Communicating with campus partners to ensure quality ad execution
- Certifying creative and material delivery for campus partners
- Managing and verifying campaign creative
- Creating sales reports and client decks
- Completing special projects as needed
In addition to daily tasks, Fellows will go through an intensive one-week training program that will cover the broader media and political advertising industries as well as specific training for the program. Fellows will work on career development with Flytedesk’s Chief of Staff, and have the opportunity to hear from guest speakers from a wide variety of backgrounds.
Each fellow will work directly with a flytedesk Publisher Account Rep and will report to the Chief of Staff.
We started flytedesk because we have a thorough distaste for “how things have always been done,” and believe in the power of student journalism and that young people change the world. The people who are most successful at flytedesk exemplify three core values:
- Tenacious - there’s no better feeling than building what others thought impossible. We are a collection of people who are willing to do whatever it takes to make our vision a reality, leaving only happy clients in our wake. This is not a job for people who are not 100% committed. Being on the ground floor and in the trenches of a high-growth startup takes dedication to the cause.
- Creative - we don’t do things like everyone else. We choose to be remarkable, surprising, and go above and beyond. We take chances and make big bets. We anticipate needs, markets, and better experiences; and then we build them. We don’t take ourselves too seriously and can be considered quirky - but we like our family just the way it is.
- Honest - there is no time for anything else. We treat each other with candor and kindness. Everyone in the company knows our mission, goals, progress, and challenges at all times. Everyone is accountable and we all like it that way.
Skills & Qualities
We’re looking for candidates who fit most or all of the following:
- Excellent attitude and a willingness to tackle any and all tasks (no matter how large or small)
- Capacity to multitask and meet deadlines
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Extreme attention to detail
- Ability to learn quickly and independently, and perform new skills with a high degree of accuracy
- Personal drive for excellence and accountability
- Comfort using Excel to manage and manipulate large sets of data, as well as Microsoft Word and Google Suite
- Student media experience (leadership and/or ad sales a plus)
- Previous experience using Microsoft & Google Suite, Slack, Airtable, MailChimp, SurveyMonkey, Photoshop (and the Adobe Suite), and/or Google Analytics.
The Fine Print
- The fellowship is open to rising juniors, seniors, or those recently graduated
- It is a full time opportunity, you will not be able to take classes while completing this Fellowship. We’re happy to work with your adviser to arrange for course credit if applicable.
- This is a full-time position (40 hours/week) from 7/27/20-11/20/20, with the potential for (time and a half) overtime as needed.