We’re looking to add a talented, passionate Creative Director, Copy to our Creative Team. The right candidate will be a seasoned leader with a serious writing portfolio. We work with some of the best-known brands in the Bay Area (and the world), so nothing but the very best will do: creative vision, inspired leadership, flawless execution. Experience with events and experiential design is a must.
We’re looking for an innovative, forward-thinking creative who is steeped in technology. A creative who is agile and adaptable, yet relentless in the production of great work. We need a team player: someone who can work fast, smart, and with care—not just for the creative output, but for the people they lead.
As Creative Director, you’ll direct the work, help shape our client’s communications, and become the main interpreter of our client’s goals, turning their strategy into compelling copy. As part of a creative team of writers, designers, UX artists, and more, you will strike a healthy balance between strong client relationships, team leadership, and, of course, fantastic writing. Being adept at balancing big-picture concepts with focused creative work to make the most of every deliverable is a must.
Your time will be spent on-site at our headquarters in San Francisco with regular walks to our client’s office just a handful of blocks away.
This job is for a leader and doer who will fit in with the inclusive, open, and fun culture that is one of Firewood’s marks of distinction. Sound like you?
- Lead a team to produce high-quality communications, from concept to execution, generating the expression of ideas across all experience media— print, digital, social, mobile, and environmental, with a focus on live events.
- Provide innovative solutions to creative problems, be a thought leader to the team and to the client, and serve as the go-to person when a solution is needed. Bring new ideas to the table that exceed the client’s expectations.
- Communicate effectively in a cross-functional team, presenting ideas and copy effectively to clients and other stakeholders.
- Become the standard-bearer of technical product knowledge and accuracy assurance.
- Develop strong client relationships through a deep understanding of their brand and product offering.
- Champion strategically led ideas that align with the client’s brand and messaging guidelines, with a focus on events and experiences.
- Mentor a team of writers and show off your great presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Foster a culture and environment conducive to producing experience-based ideas.
- Maintain quality and consistency of the creative deliverable for the team.
- Be a champion for our culture and values.
- Minimum 8–10 years of experience writing copy in an agency environment for B2B and/or B2C communications. Events experience required.
- An editorial writing style and the ability to take complex concepts and distill them into a conversational and helpful tone.
- Demonstrable ability to follow brand style guides to produce work that is original, consistent in style and quality, and on brand—while avoiding typical marketing jargon.
- Experience collaborating through shared documents and presenting work remotely, as well as in person.
- Demonstrated excellence in creative brand storytelling across live, digital, 2D, or 3D media.
- Ability to work independently—as well as lead a group—to solve problems and bring new ideas to the table.
- Ability to strategize content approaches and work with copywriters, as well as strategists and art directors, to deliver copy that is consistent in voice and style, and functions as a perfect complement to design.
- Ability to own projects from concept through execution and delivery, as well as edit copywriters’ work.
- Ability to work quickly and through multiple iterations while maintaining strong attention to detail.
- Ability to manage, educate, and train other members of the team, providing constructive feedback that leads to consistent, quality work.