At FarmWise, we build autonomous robots for agriculture. We work with and for growers to help them move away from chemical-based processes and face the labor crisis that is transforming the face of agriculture.
In partnership with some of the largest vegetable growers in California, we are developing a mechanical weeding robot which drives itself throughout the field, distinguishes weeds among many varieties of different crops through machine learning and computer vision, and cut weeds out using blades in the ground.
After raising more than $6m in private funding, our team of 15 people (Stanford, Columbia and MIT alumni) is currently deploying the first set of machines to California farms.
FarmWise is looking for a dynamic and problem-solving Mechanical Engineer to join our Hardware team. You will be responsible for the mechanical design of our autonomous robot fleet, prototype new components, and dig into existing mechanical issues and coordinate with the software and hardware design team to redesign, implement, and iterate on solutions.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Design and improve the mechanical design of our robots
- Prototype new components to enhance and hone the capabilities of our robot
- Troubleshoot mechanical issues and iterate on solutions
- Present data/trade-offs to management to facilitate the making of design decisions
- Work with the design teams in creating and evaluating designs and concepts
We get excited about self-starters who have:
- B.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline and 2+ years of experience or M.S. in Mechanical Engineering or related discipline and 1-2 years of experience
- Strong experience working with heavy vehicles or large and complex robotic assemblies
- Hands-on experience in prototype bring-up, debugging and functional verification
- Experience with one or more of the following: hydraulics, pneumatics, diesel engines
- Have had primary technical and design responsibility for all aspects of mechanical assemblies which were successfully produced in moderate to high volume
- Strong experience with 3D design tools such as SolidWorks, or other CAD tools
- Have a passion for mechanical product design, inventing solutions, and finding better and simpler ways to meet product requirements
Nice to Haves
- Knowledge of electrical characterization equipment (oscilloscopes, spectrum analyzers… etc)
- Experience with electric noise filtering, various communication protocols (especially UART, Ethernet, USB, SPI, I2C)
- Have had primary technical and design responsibility for aspects of electro-mechanical assemblies
At FarmWise, you will find here a great work environment as well as exciting and stimulating challenges. You will work on a state-of-the-art technology that we believe will change food production forever!
As part of our team you will enjoy excellent benefits:
- Equity in the company, health insurance (medical, dental and vision), 401k match program and lunch catered every day
- Evolve in a very fast-paced engineering environment with short development cycles
- Be able to shape a revolutionary product in its early days
- Get ideas, feedback, suggestions, and critics from other best-in-their-field teammates
Join us in our journey to improve farming with AI and automation, and to help farmers grow better and healthier food!