F9 is a mission-oriented team of Principal Software Engineers that have come together to deliver modern software engineering capabilities to the United States Defense Industry. Our customers include the United States Air Force, Aerospace, Raytheon, and Harris.
F9’s CEO, Eric Schoonover, started his career as a software engineer at Microsoft and Netflix where he progressed from a risky hire with no experience and no education to a principal level software engineer. He co-founded a YCombinator-funded startup after leaving Netflix and eventually landed at Time Inc as Vice President of Engineering. Prior to founding F9, he was Director of Engineering for the United States Digital Service in the Executive Office of the President, and Director of Engineering at the Defense Digital Service in the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
All F9 principals have extensive private sector experience and deeply value a culture of effective software engineering, freedom, and responsibility.
At F9, a Delivery Manager is a Director of Engineering with broad responsibility. We depend on our Delivery Managers for the successful delivery of multi-tenant software systems to one or more large customers.
As the most experienced software engineering leader on the project, you will be responsible for:
- Maintaining deep credibility with engineering stakeholders, including each of the F9 software engineers working on the program
- Influencing your customer towards technical decisions that ensure mission success
- Understanding large, complex, bureaucratic organizations; effective Delivery Managers are Bureaucracy Hackers
- Providing effective air cover, ensuring individual contributors are not allocated to inappropriate work or bogged down in harmful process and procedure, but are freed up to effectively deliver results
You have senior-level knowledge and hands-on experience developing, implementing, and leading software, infrastructure, and/or cloud programs. You have subject matter expertise on enterprise transformation within an organization, through previous experience of leading software, infrastructure, and/or cloud engineering teams to transform waterfall-based programs through the adoption of agile and devops best practices.
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent technical degree, or equivalent industry experience
- At least 5 years’ experience working as a software engineering lead or an infrastructure engineering lead leveraging large scale cloud infrastructure as your primary application platform
- 5+ years’ experience with agile and lean philosophies
- Resume must include one (1) example of successfully leading any (DoD or non-DoD) software, data center, and/or on-premise infrastructure engineering team to transform waterfall-based programs through the adoption of agile software engineering best practices
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) techniques
- A SECRET level, or above, Security Clearance
- Resume must include one (1) or more examples of successfully transforming large-scale legacy software, data center, and/or on premise infrastructure programs to a modern cloud native application architecture
- Resume has two (2) or more examples of successfully leading software, data center, and/or on premise infrastructure engineering teams to transform waterfall-based programs through the adoption of Agile and Continuous Delivery best practices at the DoD or other highly-regulated organization.
- At least 10 years’ experience working as a software engineering lead or infrastructure engineering lead leveraging large scale cloud infrastructure as their primary application platform.
- A TOP SECRET level, or TS/SCI, Security Clearance
Working at F9
We came for the mission, but we know the market value of the best people. We offer generous compensation packages in-line with industry.
We give our employees a generous allowance to use on a healthcare plan of their choice from several flexible tiers and formats. If you don't spend it all, you keep the difference.
Gear for Professionals
We understand that having the right gear makes your life better, and your work better. Premium noise-cancelling headphones, a top-of-the-line computer of your choice, and a baller mechanical keyboard are all standard issue. Something else? No problem. We trust our team to expense what they need.
As a group of senior and principal engineers, most of us have families and—quite frankly—amazing lives outside of work. Get things done, but take as much time as you need, when you need it.
Ownership & Freedom
F9 hires experts in their field and trusts them to make the most of their time. You will own every aspect of your work, because we trust you to be awesome.
Whether it's snowmobiling in the mountains or dining at some of the best restaurants in the world, our team outings are not standard corporate events. You will never be forced to participate in mediocre mandatory fun.