F9 is a mission-oriented team of Principal Software Engineers that have come together to deliver modern software engineering capabilities to the United States Defense Industry. Our customers include the United States Air Force, Aerospace, Raytheon, and Harris.
F9’s CEO, Eric Schoonover, started his career as a software engineer at Microsoft and Netflix where he progressed from a risky hire with no experience and no education to a principal level software engineer. He co-founded a YCombinator-funded startup after leaving Netflix and eventually landed at Time Inc as Vice President of Engineering. Prior to founding F9, he was Director of Engineering for the United States Digital Service in the Executive Office of the President, and Director of Engineering at the Defense Digital Service in the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
All F9 principals have extensive private sector experience and deeply value a culture of effective software engineering, freedom, and responsibility.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Kessel Run Identity team you will be responsible for the design, development, delivery, and operations of the software systems that enable war fighters self-service identity registration and administration. Think Google Sign-In for the Air Force.
The Kessel Run Identity Service implements the OAuth2 standard and is used by all Kessel Run mission applications to enable Single Sign-On. You will also be responsible for the reliable operations of the Kessel Run Identity services across all Kessel Run environments, unclassified and classified.
As the scope of work for the Kessel Run identity team expands additional capabilities need to be designed and delivered to support additional forms of multi-factor authentication, authorization and role based access controls, and shared user profiles.
This is a senior level individual contributor position, the the expectation is that you are a highly effective software engineer capable of independantly designing and delivering highly reliable software that meets mission requirements. You work well with less experienced software engineers, you guide them towards valuable contribution. You have demonstrated hands-on experience implementing OAuth2 authentication services used by thousands or millions of users. You are comfortable contributing to client applications built on the Facebook's React. You have experience developing and operating web services deployed across multiple data centers or commercial cloud regions.
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent technical degree, or equivalent industry experience
- At least 5 years’ experience working as a senior level individual contributor on a software engineering team
- Resume must include one (1) example of successfully leading a standards based implementation of a single sign-on solution used by multiple different applications
- Experience with common Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery (CI/CD) technologies (e.g. CircleCI, GitLab CI, GitHub Actions, Travis CI, Jenkins)
- A SECRET level, or above, Security Clearance
- Resume includes one or more examples of successfully migrating legacy software sysems from a on-premise infrastructure to a modern cloud infrastructure
- Resume includes one or more examples of successfully advocating for and leading software teams from one engineering methodolgy to another (e.g. Waterfall to Agile or Agile to DevOps) within a highly regulated industry (e.g. Defense, Medicine, or Finance)
- At least 8 years’ experience working as a software engineer or infrastructure engineer using public cloud infrastructure as the primary application platform.
- A TOP SECRET level, or TS/SCI, Security Clearance
Working at F9
We came for the mission, but we know the market value of the best people. We offer generous compensation packages in-line with industry.
We give our employees a generous allowance to use on a healthcare plan of their choice from several flexible tiers and formats. If you don't spend it all, you keep the difference.
Gear for Professionals
We understand that having the right gear makes your life better, and your work better. Premium noise-cancelling headphones, a top-of-the-line computer of your choice, and a baller mechanical keyboard are all standard issue. Something else? No problem. We trust our team to expense what they need.
As a group of senior and principal engineers, most of us have families and—quite frankly—amazing lives outside of work. Get things done, but take as much time as you need, when you need it.
Ownership & Freedom
F9 hires experts in their field and trusts them to make the most of their time. You will own every aspect of your work, because we trust you to be awesome.
Whether it's snowmobiling in the mountains or dining at some of the best restaurants in the world, our team outings are not standard corporate events. You will never be forced to participate in mediocre mandatory fun.