F9 is a mission-oriented team of Principal Software Engineers that have come together to deliver modern software engineering capabilities to the United States Defense Industry. Our customers include the United States Air Force, Aerospace, Raytheon, and Harris.
F9’s CEO, Eric Schoonover, started his career as a software engineer at Microsoft and Netflix where he progressed from a risky hire with no experience and no education to a principal level software engineer. He co-founded a YCombinator-funded startup after leaving Netflix and eventually landed at Time Inc as Vice President of Engineering. Prior to founding F9, he was Director of Engineering for the United States Digital Service in the Executive Office of the President, and Director of Engineering at the Defense Digital Service in the Office of the Secretary of Defense.
All F9 principals have extensive private sector experience and deeply value a culture of effective software engineering, freedom, and responsibility.
As a Senior Software Engineer on the Kessel Run Runtime Orchestration team you will be responsible for thedevelopment, delivery, and operations of the runtime compute platform that executes all the software built by Kessel Run software engineering teams in support of our American warfighters. Today more than 30 different Kessel Run applications are run on the compute services provided by the Runtime Orchestration software engineering team.
Kessel Run's Runtime Orchestration team ships multiple services, each service targets facilitating the execution of a different type of Kessel Run mission application workload. By a substantial margin the largest runtime service that we operate today is Cloud Foundry. Cloud Foundry provides a common runtime abstraction over our AWS and on-premise VMware vSphere infrastructure provides, allowing any Kessel Run application to be deployed and run in any Kessel Run environment without changing code.
As the scope of work for the Kessel Run Runtime Orchestration team expands additional application workload types need to be added. Currently first class support for Docker based applications is a high priority.
This is a senior level individual contributor position, the the expectation is that you are a highly effective software engineer capable of independently designing and delivering highly reliable software that meets mission requirements. You work well with less experienced software engineers, you guide them towards valuable contribution. You have demonstrated hands-on experience implementings application runtime services for tens or hundreds of different software applications using Kubernetes. You understand how to build idiomatic Docker containers that are secure, start quickly, and that are small. You have experience developing and operating multi-tenant services running in a commercial cloud environment.
- Bachelor Degree in Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent technical degree, or equivalent industry experience
- At least 5 years’ experience working as a senior or principal level individual contributor on a software engineering team
- Resume must include one or more example of successfully leading the implementation and operation of a multi-tenant softawre application service based on Kubernetes (e.g. Kubernetes (e.g. GCP Kubernetes Engine, AWS EKS, Azure AKS, RedHat OpenShift)
- Proficiency coding in Go
- Proficiency coding in Java
- Proficiency coding in Python
- Proficiency using Terraform, Packer, and Ansible
- A SECRET level, or above, Security Clearance
- Resume includes one or more examples of successfully transforming large-scale legacy software, data center, and/or on premise infrastructure programs to a modern cloud native application architecture
- Resume includes one or more examples of successfully leading software, data center, and/or on premise infrastructure engineering teams to transform waterfall-based programs through the adoption of Agile and Continuous Delivery best practices at the DoD or other highly-regulated organization.
- At least 5 years’ experience working as a software engineering lead or infrastructure engineering lead leveraging large scale cloud infrastructure as their primary application platform.
- A TOP SECRET level, or TS/SCI, Security Clearance
Working at F9
We came for the mission, but we know the market value of the best people. We offer generous compensation packages in-line with industry.
We give our employees a generous allowance to use on a healthcare plan of their choice from several flexible tiers and formats. If you don't spend it all, you keep the difference.
Gear for Professionals
We understand that having the right gear makes your life better, and your work better. Premium noise-cancelling headphones, a top-of-the-line computer of your choice, and a baller mechanical keyboard are all standard issue. Something else? No problem. We trust our team to expense what they need.
As a group of senior and principal engineers, most of us have families and—quite frankly—amazing lives outside of work. Get things done, but take as much time as you need, when you need it.
Ownership & Freedom
F9 hires experts in their field and trusts them to make the most of their time. You will own every aspect of your work, because we trust you to be awesome.
Whether it's snowmobiling in the mountains or dining at some of the best restaurants in the world, our team outings are not standard corporate events. You will never be forced to participate in mediocre mandatory fun.