We're looking for an attorney to join us in a full-time capacity and help us to redefine the private investment industry, expanding access to opportunities only the wealthiest could previously afford. If innovating in the capital markets at a fast growing startup excites you, let's talk!
EquityZen is an early-mid stage financial technology company, backed by leading venture and private equity investors.
Our platform helps large, private tech companies deliver liquidity to their shareholders, while providing investors access to proven, pre-IPO companies. EquityZen has served 100+ mature, pre-IPO companies, and is proud to be considered a liquidity provider by 1 out of 3 of the largest 25 Unicorns. EquityZen's investors include pedigreed VCs like Tim Draper and Wall Street institutions like WorldQuant.
A testament to EquityZen's secure, paperless, and industry-defining online investment platform, we have successfully completed 5000+ private placement. Focusing on automating an antiquated offline process has allowed us to lead the charge in building more efficient, cost-effective, and transparent private market. Watch this short video to learn more
We're looking for a collaborative, passionate Corporate Counsel, who loves identifying and solving problems, and working across teams in a fast-paced FinTech startup.
- Advise internal EquityZen teams, including business development, product development and marketing, on legal matters and provide general corporate and commercial legal advice
- Negotiate, write and execute contracts for EquityZen
- Advise on legal issues and risks, contract status and legal liabilities
- Research and anticipate new and emerging legal issues
- Develop and enhance template agreements reflecting EquityZen’s expanding offerings
- Review advertising and marketing materials to ensure compliance with legal requirements
- Provide training to company executives and employees on legal topics
WHAT YOU'LL GAIN
- Project management skills. You’ll lead, from start to finish, the structuring drafting, reviewing, negotiating and closing of commercial transactions and agreements with multiple internal and external stakeholders
- Client management. Direct client exposure, interfacing with leaders in the startup space
- Second order drafting skills. The technology does the standard stuff, allowing you to focus on the real legal issues and negotiating points
- Cross-team collaboration. You’ll be part of the Legal team, and will work closely with members of those Marketplace, Marketing, Business Development, Product and Tech teams.
- Product skills. You’ll help make our product better by identifying ways to automate processes, remove friction, and improve customer experiences and conversion rates.
- Fintech expertise. Gain strong experience in legal issues around the FinTech space
- Equity, competitive salary, full employee benefits (health, dental, vision), flexible paid time off, stocked fridge, supply of snacks, weekly catered lunch and more!
THE RIGHT STUFF
- You love being a lawyer and want to be part of a close and collaborative legal team
- You are detail-oriented, enthusiastic, resourceful, diligent, and comfortable making recommendations and decisions in the face of uncertainty
- You are a humble team player and believe that the client, mission, and team come before you
- You are able to work independently with little supervision and to prioritize
- You have excellent verbal and written communication skills, organizational skills, legal research skills, drafting and negotiating skills, and judgment
- You understand time-sensitive deal environment and can manage people and documents to timely close
- 3-5 years transactional experience in capital markets or investment funds at a top tier law firm and/or in-house
- ’34 Act and/or ’40 Act experience, private placement experience, other experience in a regulated environment or FinTech, and IP, API licensing, and privacy law (including GDPR/CCPA) experience are all pluses
- You have a law degree from a recognized university
HOW TO APPLY
- Please submit your resume using the link provided
- Please include a cover letter
EquityZen provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, EquityZen complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. EquityZen expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of EquityZen’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.