Are you looking to use your skills for good? Ellevate Network is the leading community for professional women, focused on providing smart, ambitious and successful women with a network of supporters they can lean on and learn from. This is a rare opportunity to gain broad experience at a tight-knit startup that's passionate about social change.
Located in NYC, we are looking for a full-time Senior Full Stack Developer to join our rapidly growing team and company. We strongly value diverse perspectives and care deeply about building a positive work environment; each of our small teams operates with a high level of flexibility, autonomy and ownership for our path forward.
After a years of exciting growth, we have quite a few big projects on the horizon for 2019 and 2020, prioritizing innovative, technology-driven solutions to the roadblocks that professional women face. As a senior member of our team, you would play a major role in the development of new products, an important voice in planning architectural improvements, and serve as a mentor to less experienced developers.
Right now, we’re migrating our front end to Vue, conducting a round of user research, and planning significant improvements to the way we introduce our members to the “right” women who can provide insight, opportunities, and advice.
You're right for the position if you're both collaborative and independent, if you’re ready to advance your own career trajectory, if you’re eager to apply your technical skills to an important mission: building the right solutions to support our community of women.
Our interview process doesn’t involve white boarding, riddles, or games - we want to understand how you’ll fit into our team and contribute to our mission, not how well you recall syntax under pressure.
Our stack is Ruby on Rails, Postgres, Vue & Heroku; prior experience with Rails in a production environment is required for this role, experience with the others is a plus.
What to expect from this role:
- You'll work closely with our diverse engineering and product team to architect, build, and launch new features.
- In addition to forward development, you'll take ownership for refactoring & updating our current codebase, working with the product team to triage bugs.
- You'll follow Ellevate style guides to ensure new functionality is in line with our current product.
- You'll use Agile/Scrum concepts, Github (with Codeship for predeploy testing) and Slack for team communication.
- You'll have direct access to our leadership team with open lines of communication to discuss the role you play in our growing business.
Who will be successful in this role?
- You're collaborative: able to work independently or in a team.
- You're quick on your feet - you know when to be scrappy and when to invest and stop cutting corners.
- You can effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical team members.
- You're flexible, empathetic, and patient with both team members and users.
- You're self-motivated, perseverant and excited to contribute to our mission of closing the gender gap in business.
We're looking for someone with:
- 5-8 years working in a professional production environment with:
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails or Sinatra;
- SASS/SCSS or CSS.
- Testing frameworks
- You understand DRY methodology, patterns, modules & portable code.
- You value using community styleguides, common practices & tools to create quality code.
You certainly don't have to be an expert in all of these areas, but we'd love to hire someone with some of these skills:
- Proficiency in Vue, Angular, Ember or React
- Familiarity with Heroku & AWS.
- Experience improving the performance of a Rails app.
- Have written Rspec tests for models, controllers, views, and features
- Experience with front end testing in PhantomJS, Jasmine and/or Capybara
- Experience with end to end and regression testing
- Optimizing Sidekiq & background jobs
- Knowledge of SEO optimization.
- Can contribute to product design and are savvy with UI/UX
- Has worked with the Stripe API in a production environment
- Understanding of search indexing and structures
Benefits of Working at Ellevate:
- Flexible Work Hours & Locations
- Unlimited Vacation Time
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Parental leave policy
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Time off to volunteer
- Annual wellness reimbursement
- Access to Ellevate’s resources, speakers, events, and content.
- Beautiful office with snacks, cold brew, wine fridge, etc.
At Ellevate Network we believe that there is power in diversity. We value different perspectives and recognize that they help us grow.
Ellevate Network is an equal opportunity employer and as such recruits, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.