Looking to get experience in a fast-paced, purpose-driven company? Ellevate Network is a community of professional women committed to helping each other succeed. We are committed to working with employees who believe that if we get diverse voices, especially those of women, to the table where decisions are made, we can have a more just and equitable world.
We are looking for a full-time, full stack developer to join our rapidly growing New York City team. You would be joining a small team - you’ll be the 3rd engineer! We strongly value individual perspectives and care deeply about building a positive work environment; each of our small teams operates with a high level of flexibility, autonomy and ownership for our path forward.
You're right for the position if you're both collaborative and independent, if you’re ready to advance your own career trajectory, and if you’re eager to apply your technical skills to an important mission: supporting and growing our community of professional women.
Our interview process doesn’t involve white boarding, riddles, or games - we want to understand how you’ll fit into our team and contribute to our mission, not how well you recall syntax under pressure.
Our stack is Ruby on Rails, Postgres, Vue.js & Heroku; prior experience as a software engineer is a requirement for this role, experience with our stack is a plus.
What to expect in this role:
- You’ll join a small, collaborative, tight-knit B Corp with a big mission: equality for all.
- You’ll have a high level of responsibility and ownership over impactful projects.
- You'll have direct access to our leadership team, with open lines of communication to discuss the role you play in our growing business.
- Be using Continuous Integration to build out new features.
- Take part in refracting & updating our current codebase.
- Estimate & meet deadlines using Agile/Scrum.
- You'll follow Ellevate style guides to ensure new functionality is in line with our current product.
- You'll use Github (with Codeship for predeploy testing) and Slack for team communication.
- You'll attend and assist at all-hands-on-deck Ellevate events in NYC, up to twice a month, after-work on weekdays; we adjust our flexible hours on other days to account for these longer evenings.
Who will be successful in this role?
- You're collaborative - able to work independently or in a team.
- You're quick on your feet - you know when to be scrappy and when to invest and stop cutting corners.
- You can effectively communicate with both technical and non-technical team members.
- You're flexible, empathetic, and patient with both team members and users.
- You're self-motivated, perseverant and excited to contribute to our mission.
We're looking for someone with:
- 2-4 years working in a professional production environment with:
- Ruby, Ruby on Rails or Sinatra (required);
- SASS/SCSS or CSS.
- HTML & markup best practices
- Testing frameworks
- You understand DRY methodology, patterns, modules & portable code.
- You value using community style guides, common practices & tools to create quality code.
We'd love to hire someone with some of these skills:
- Proficiency in Angular, Ember, Vue or React
- Familiarity with Heroku & AWS.
- Experience improving the performance of a Rails app.
- Have written Rspec tests for models, controllers, views, and features
- Experience with front end testing in PhantomJS, Jasmine and/or Capybara
- Experience with end to end and regression testing
- Knowledge of SEO optimization.
- Can contribute to product design and are savvy with UI/UX
- Has worked with the Stripe API in a production environment
- Understanding of search indexing and structures
Benefits of Working at Ellevate:
- Flexible Work Hours & Locations
- Unlimited Vacation Time
- Health, vision, and dental insurance
- Paid parental leave policy
- Retirement savings plan (401k)
- Time off to volunteer
- Annual wellness reimbursement
- Access to Ellevate’s resources, speakers, events, and content.
- Beautiful office with snacks, cold brew, wine, etc.
At Ellevate Network we believe that there is power in diversity. We value different perspectives and recognize that they help us grow.
Ellevate Network is an equal opportunity employer and as such recruits, trains, compensates and promotes regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.