Dwelo is making spaces where humans live and work programmable. Our software, hardware and service platform powers smart apartment communities, benefiting residents and simultaneously improving the efficiency of property operations. Dwelo smart apartments are online in tens of thousands of homes from coast to coast, enabled by hundreds of thousands of devices.
We are now widening our focus to enable new services and businesses by building a platform for Internet connected and intelligently orchestrated devices dedicated to serving people in public, personal, and communal spaces. This platform is a core functionality of a new generation of the Internet, and will enable products to serve people in ways that we have not yet dreamed up.
What You Will Do
- Build and own Dwelo's cloud services.You will be solving challenges like: efficiently reflecting and aggregating the state of thousands of devices, design flexible APIs to represent variable device control capabilities, integrate a wide range of (often real time) data sources, make the system that controls tens of thousands of homes and hundreds of buildings fault tolerant.
- Work with gateway and mobile engineers to design APIs to deliver new products and features for Dwelo apartment buildings and our new IoT platform.
- Ship clean, reliable, extensible code! Inform and advance Dwelo Engineering's code best practices. Own your code from localhost to deployment to living a fault-tolerant, highly available life in production
What Will Help You Succeed
- A desire to work together with a team to build products more complex than can be delivered by any one person.
- You have built systems that rely on queueing systems like Kafka or Kinesis, relational databases, and databases of the non-relational persuasion.
- You are fluent in at least two programming languages (preferably at least one that is strongly typed).
- You are genuinely passionate about technology. Maybe that comes in the form of keeping up to date with programming language and framework developers. Or maybe you have a passion project of your own, whether that comes in the form of an open source project, community involvement and mentorship, participating in meetups, or something else entirely.
Your Application Should Include
- A resume and/or LinkedIn profile.
- One or two paragraphs about your favorite project from any of your work, volunteer, or personal experiences.
The Dwelo R&D Team
We are a remote-enabled team. While our headquarters is in Draper, Utah, our engineers live all over the United States. The way we build our product and make decisions takes geographically distributed collaboration into account.
Dwelo is designed to serve all people, everywhere. Our success is dependent on taking many, varied perspectives into consideration. Seeking out, hiring, and enabling people from all backgrounds to implement their ideas is critical to success of Dwelo as a healthy company and as a product.
For logistical reasons, we can only consider applicants that are eligible to work in the United States.
Dwelo R&D Missions
As internet connected devices become ubiquitous and interwoven into our world, and our product focus has expanded to building a platform other device services can be built upon, Dwelo Research & Development's responsibility and mission has necessarily also expanded. Our mission is designed to empower every engineer to make decisions when building Dwelo. And we fundamentally believe that it is necessary to have a shared understanding of what is important as a team. The people we serve are always at the center of our missions.
We believe that we must take a strong stand on personal privacy. IoT has the awesome and terrible potential to benefit humans while encroaching on our most sacred rights: privacy. Dwelo will never share personal information with a third party, and especially never to an advertiser. We remain committed to making an ongoing statement on the importance of privacy in a connected age, in the design of our products, how we integrate with third parties, and our statements as a corporation.
The hardware and software we build must enable all people to live more full lives. It must benefit individual humans, either by making their jobs less laborious and more efficient, or making the way they live more convenient and pleasant. All kinds of people, from all origins live in Dwelo apartments, or interact with Dwelo-connected devices, and many of them have disabilities. Dwelo's human focus nature puts accessibility in the forefront of our design and development.
We believe that personal security is a critical aspect of enabling people to live more full lives. This is important enough to elevate to a central imperative for Dwelo R&D. In this mission, we consider the security of individual's digital identity and data alongside their physical security. Our product roadmap must always include steps to enhance both, and neither can ever be sacrificed for any reason.