Lead and grow the Finance organization.
We are seeking a highly effective, mission-driven, and strategic Chief Financial Officer, for this high-impact role to help us realize our mission of developing the best education in the world and making it universally available. You will help us grow the Finance function to support our rapid growth, in fiscally responsible ways, and evaluate new business opportunities in partnership with the management team and Board.
As the CFO, you will provide corporate leadership in growing Duolingo’s business through effective planning and execution of strategic business objectives. You will work with the Executive Team to develop business metrics and strategic planning tools that drive results. You will be responsible for directing Finance and Accounting.This will require putting the right people, processes and systems in place that are required for timely financial reporting and accounting compliance, an appropriate FP&A function, and regulatory, treasury and tax functions to be sure Duolingo is IPO ready.
- Support investor and Board relationship management, including presentation of financial updates at Board meetings
- Lead any private financing and deal-related activities -- including representing Duolingo to a variety of types of investors
- Develop and oversee a high performing finance and accounting function, and ensure systems and controls that reflect “best practice” financial processes.
- Support strategy, operations and financial planning with financial modeling and data analysis, that guides business model and market segment evaluation and development
- Develop and manage budgets and long-range financial forecasts
- Establish and maintain documentation of internal controls, policies and procedures related to financial reporting and compliance; ensure trustworthy quality control over financial transactions and reporting.
- Manage relationships with outside auditors, banks, investors, analysts, and other advisors
- Ensure compliance with company policies, regulatory requirements, and GAAP, as well as local, state, federal and foreign government reporting requirements and tax filings
- Proven success as the CFO or number two in an entrepreneurial environment within a start-up/private and public company experience in a high growth public technology company
- Experience with investor relations, including managing Wall Street, proposing and setting financial guidance; leading earnings call preparations; working directly with sell- side analysts and buy-side PMs and analysts; and attendance and presentation at all financial conferences and non-deal roadshows.
- Strong Board experience, including attendance, presentation and co-lead roles at Board meetings, audit committee meetings and other relevant committee meetings.
- Growth stage experience is critical: able to balance the needs of a dynamic, fast-ramp company with the overarching requirements of fiscal responsibility. Able to put in place just enough process to manage, enable, guide and scale an emerging business, but not so much as to encumber it
- Strategic as well as tactical leadership in setting strategic direction, budgeting, forecasting, and financial modeling and analysis
- Proven experience building, mentoring, motivating and leading high performance teams and attracting and retaining top talent. Ability to effectively tap into the strengths and compensate for the weaknesses of individuals in each of the finance roles.
- Bachelor’s Degree in related field
Exceptional Candidates Will Have:
- Prior Big 4 public accounting, venture capital, investment banking and credit facilities
- An MBA and/or CPA
- Direct experience in preparation for an IPO, including implementing an IPO readiness framework, selecting a banker or bankers, preparing an S-1, organizing and executing a road show, and pricing and share allocation for the offering.