Be part of Duolingo’s exciting journey globally and help shape the future of education for our users in China and around the world.
Duolingo is the world’s largest language learning platform with over 200 million users, and we’re excited to expand our presence in the world’s largest country - China. Duolingo is funded by some of the world’s most prestigious venture capital companies, and we were recognized as one of the world’s Top 50 most innovative companies by Fast Company in 2018.
This is an amazing opportunity to be part of the founding team of our China office. As the Head of Engineering for China, you will be responsible for developing and leading a world-class engineering team. You will also be expected to take on a leadership role in developing overall China business and product strategy, and you will be counted on to provide technical leadership throughout the global Duolingo engineering organization.
- Manage a team or teams of software engineers, including task planning and code reviews.
- Drive technical projects and provide leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Collaborate on software projects with product design, frontend and backend aspects
- Develop, release, and maintain software services and/or infrastructure
- Manage project priorities, deadlines and deliverables
- Work closely with other roles such as product management and design to ensure we are building the best products.
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Relevant work experience, including industry experience.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- Technical management experience managing teams consisting of four or more.
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- Excellent communication skills in both English and Mandarin Chinese.
- Experience working or studying abroad outside of China in an English-speaking environment, or in an English-speaking work environment in China.
- Legal authorization to work in China. This position is based in Beijing.
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- Master's degree or PhD in Computer Science or related field.
- Extensive engineering experience in fast-growing, consumer-facing, data-driven startups.