Deliver mission-critical technical projects that provide free learning experiences to millions around the globe.
Duolingo is the most popular language learning application in the world, with over 300 million users. We are passionate about education, fact-based decision making, and elegant solutions to cross-functional problems; if that sounds like you, then come join us as we build the next-generation learning company!
- Lead the delivery of strategic, high-impact cross-functional initiatives from ideation to launch
- Leverage deep technical expertise to develop thorough plans, identify risks, solve for dependencies, mitigate roadblocks, and ensure timely and smooth project launches
- Partner with functions across the company--such as engineering, QA, product management, and executive leadership--to ensure communication across teams and to foster collaboration across stakeholders
- Identify issues impacting delivery efficiency company wide and quickly take action to resolve them, working collaboratively with leadership and other relevant stakeholders
- Teach and train others on best practices so that all product and engineering teams run more smoothly thanks to you, even when you are not involved day to day.
- 5+ years of experience as TPM, Engineering Lead or Manager
- Experience leading back-end projects in the context of large-scale, cloud-based infrastructures
- Proven ability to communicate technical issues effectively to technical and non-technical stakeholders at different levels of the organization
- Proven ability to create and execute detailed plans accounting for ambiguity, dependencies, and technical complexity in an agile environment
- Flexibility to adjust plans based on new information without losing a beat and while keeping morale high
- Outstanding leadership and negotiation skills in a matrix environment
- Ability to operate effectively even with only high-level direction
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, start-up environment
- Demonstrated self-direction, with a desire both to learn new techniques and teach others
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science or equivalent degree or experience
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- 10+ years of software engineering, systems engineering or similar experience, in addition to project/program management experience
- Deep experience with AWS
- Experience working with teams and technical projects distributed across the globe, including China
- Experience running projects that include machine learning and large datasets
- Experience articulating business questions, and using available data to find answers that translate into business recommendations