Help improve how millions of people learn languages on Duolingo.
Our ideal candidate has a PhD in linguistics or a related field, is a polyglot, has excellent knowledge of language typology, and has experience teaching a second language. You will be part of our new initiative to reimagine and revamp Duolingo courses. You will join Duolingo’s learning sciences team and support our efforts to advance Duolingo’s mission through science. Join Duolingo to feel empowered as an educator, affecting how millions of people learn.
This is an onsite position in Pittsburgh, PA; remote work is not a possibility. We will consider candidates at different levels of seniority, from recent PhD graduates to more senior candidates with years of work experience. The job rank will be adjusted accordingly.
- Work side by side with talented learning scientists, curriculum experts, community specialists, designers, engineers, and product managers to bring research-informed product features to life
- Help design curricula and specific content for a variety of Duolingo language courses
- Help create assessment tools to measure how Duolingo users learn
- Help recruit, train, and supervise other language experts developing Duolingo courses
- Guide product development to support teaching a variety of languages
- PhD in linguistics, applied linguistics, language (with a linguistic focus), education, or a related field
- Experience teaching language and/or developing language curricula
- Familiarity with the principles of second language acquisition and teaching
- Solid research/theoretical knowledge of language typology
- Working proficiency in multiple languages, including at least two of the following: Spanish, French, German, Italian, Chinese, Japanese
- Excellent interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
- A desire to make the world a better place through technology
Exceptional candidates will have:
- Project management experience
- Experience supervising others
- Experience creating language assessments
- High proficiency in Spanish and French (in addition to some knowledge of other languages)
Learn more about some of our benefits at the bottom of this page
! Here is a sample:
- Competitive salaries and generous equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 20 days of paid time off
- 16 weeks paid maternity leave; 6 weeks paid paternity leave
- 401(k) with generous match
- Flexible hours
- On-site gym
Duolingo is an innovative, fun company with top engineers, designers, marketers, linguists, and business people driven by a mission to provide free education to the world. We have over 150 people from 25 different countries, and expect to have 200 within the next year.