An empathetic sage who will advocate for our learners’ most important needs.
We are looking to hire a researcher to help us answer foundational questions about our learners. This role will focus largely on defining product strategy for the company, and identifying new initiatives to pursue. This role reports to the VP of Product as a member of the Product team, where you'll have a direct role in guiding what Duolingo works on next.
Duolingo is the most popular language learning application in the world, with over 300 million users. We are passionate about education, fact-based decision making, and putting our learners’ needs first. We believe that everyone should have access to language learning. Come join us as we build the next-generation learning company!
- Identify and define impactful research opportunities working with product managers, UX designers, and executive leaders
- Design and conduct foundational and evaluative research to guide executive decision-making
- Glean insights that are actionable and valuable to company leadership and product teams
- Work with PMs and designers to run usability studies of new designs and features
- Craft compelling narratives about our users’ needs, attitudes, aspirations, expectations, obstacles, and motivations
- 4+ years of experience successfully leading user research projects, ideally at a consumer-focused product company
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Factors, Cognitive Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Expertise in a variety of qualitative research methods and frameworks, such as ethnographies, contextual inquiries, diary studies, personas, user journeys, card sorting, and usability studies
- A knack for getting to the heart of the matter, tellings stories and being convincing--making the opaque feel obvious in hindsight
- Ability to ask, as well as answer, meaningful and impactful research questions
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional candidates will have:
- Advanced degree in Anthropology, Cognitive Psychology, Human-Computer Interaction or a related field
- Fluency in Spanish
- Experience thriving in a startup environment
- Knowledge of SQL
- Comfort with quantitative research methods, including surveys and statistical analysis
Learn more about some of our benefits at the bottom of this page
! Here is a sample:
- Competitive salaries and generous equity
- Health, dental, and vision insurance
- 20 days of paid time off
- 401(k) with generous match
- Flexible hours
Duolingo is an innovative, fun company with top engineers, designers, marketers, linguists, and business people driven by a mission to provide free education to the world. We have over 150 people from 25 different countries, and expect to have 200 within the next year.