Lead a team and help develop next-generation AI technologies used by millions.
Duolingo AI Research is a nimble and rapidly-growing team that has already revolutionized language learning for more than 300 million people around the world. We are looking for a talented, forward-thinking manager to lead a team of engineers and researchers, and help us deliver high-quality education tools to anyone, anywhere, through AI.
As an ML Engineering Manager at Duolingo, you have the technical chops to provide pragmatic leadership, as well as the people skills to manage a diverse team of skilled developers. You help manage your team’s goals, identify opportunities to improve products through classification, regression, and reinforcement learning techniques, contribute to overall product strategy, and help build our research organization.
- Manage ML Engineers and Research Scientists embedded in product teams, including task planning and code reviews
- Provide technical leadership in an innovative and fast-paced environment
- Work closely with other engineering, product, and design leaders to ensure we are building the best products
- Contribute to the planning, execution, and success of data-driven projects, through both research and production phases
- Contribute technically to AI projects
- Graduate-level expertise (or equivalent industry experience) in machine learning, natural language processing, or related field
- Industry experience managing technical teams of five or more
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching
- Demonstrated expertise in problem-solving and technical innovation
- Good presentation and communication skills
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE:
- MS or PhD in machine learning, natural language processing, or related field
- A strong mathematical background in statistics or machine learning
- Extensive engineering experience in fast-growing, consumer-facing, data-driven startups
- A desire to keep up with the field by attending or publishing at relevant conferences (ICML, NeurIPS, ACL, EMNLP, ICLR, CVPR, etc.)
Duolingo is an innovative, fun company with top engineers, designers, marketers, linguists, and business people driven by a mission to provide free education to the world. We have over 150 people from 25 different countries, and expect to have 200 within the next year.