Establish and lead our Legal organization.
We are seeking a highly effective, mission-driven, and strategic General Counsel for this high-impact role to help us realize our mission of developing the best education in the world and making it universally available. You will help us grow the business by providing guidance on matters of strategic importance to the company and you’ll help us operate with the discipline of a public company.
The ideal candidate is intellectually curious, open-minded, adaptable, comfortable with ambiguity and risk, and excited by dynamic change. This role is ideal for someone who is a proactive self-starter, enjoy working on a variety of subject matters and has a thirst for knowledge and continued growth, all while working as part of a world-class team.
- Serve as a confidante and counselor to the co-founders, the executive team and the Board of Directors on matters relating to legal and business strategy, global expansion, corporate governance, external communications, securities compliance, and company policies.
- Ensure Duolingo is on a path to operate with the rigor and discipline of a public company over the medium term.
- Advise Duolingo on legal strategy and risk issues associated with the company’s business operations, regulatory compliance, commercial transactions, human resource practices, and products, helping Duolingo ascertain the right amount of risk while supporting Duolingo’s business and fast growth.
- Handle a variety of issues consistent with a global consumer software business including website and consumer compliance, user terms, privacy, data security, intellectual property, and third party agreements.
- Provide tactical support including establishing and maintaining affiliated entities, and reviewing and advising on corporate contracts.
- Lead and organize the Company’s internal legal function including creating legal infrastructure and processes.
- Oversee the selection, retention, management, and evaluation of outside counsel.
- Ability to act as a business partner within the organization and not act just as an attorney
- Overall broad legal knowledge (corporate law, intellectual property, GDPR /other compliance, labor law, etc)
- Ability to develop legal strategies and objectives that fit into our long term objectives
- An understanding of the difference between working in a legal environment and a corporate environment
- First class interpersonal and communication skills and a willingness to step outside of the legal role and be part of the greater organization and mission.
- Ability to anticipate legal issues or risks and to "see around the corner"
- 7+ Years’ experience: Gained through a combination of major law firm and in-house public company roles.
- J.D. required
Exceptional Candidate Will Have:
- Experience in a fast-paced, start-up environment.
- Experience advising senior leadership at a company with a broad consumer, digital footprint.
- Experience advising board of directors on corporate governance issues and working closely with the board and board committees as a corporate secretary or assistant secretary in a public company would be ideal.
- Experience leading an initial public offering in an in-house role.
- Experience negotiating and drafting sales and vendor contracts.
- Experience working with corporate development teams on complex corporate transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, partnerships and alliances.
- International experience.