Take on important and challenging research problems with massive real-world data sets.
At Duolingo, we are transforming the way people learn. We have revolutionized language learning for more than 200 million people around the world, and we are looking for talented people with creative, interdisciplinary ideas to help us deliver high-quality education tools to anyone, anywhere, through technology. As a Senior Research Scientist, you will use your background in AI and machine learning to invent the intelligent, personalized, adaptive technologies that will define the future of education. In many cases, this means identifying entirely new research problems, or synthesizing work that spans several fields. You will identify opportunities to improve existing systems — or reinvent them completely — using techniques in deep learning, natural language processing, graphical models, reinforcement learning, computer vision, and so on. Do you dream of using your research skills to impact the lives of millions? Are you eager to make practical use of giant, diverse, natural data sets? Are you passionate about creating transformative technologies, and then sharing them with the world through both products and publications? Then you should apply to join us, and take on these exciting challenges!
- Imagine what interactive language and education technologies can look like 2-10 years from now, and then leverage Duolingo data to drive the field forward
- Collaborate with world-class designers and engineers to ship research-based features into Duolingo products, which are used by millions of people daily
- Help shape the research culture and strategy of the company
- Mentor junior researchers and ML engineers
- Influence the broader research community by publishing about your work
- PhD in machine learning, AI, computer science, or a related technical field
- Programming experience in one or more of the following: Python, Java, C/C++
- Experience manipulating and analyzing various data from different sources
- Excellent presentation and communication skills
- Contribution to research communities and efforts, including publishing papers at conferences such as ACL, CVPR, EDM, ICML, NIPS, etc.
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
EXCEPTIONAL CANDIDATES WILL HAVE
- 3+ years of prior postdoctoral, faculty, and/or industry experience
- The desire and ability to develop and execute their own research agenda
- Experience building or prototyping natural language processing or computer vision systems using applied research (e.g., commercial products or government projects)
- Demonstrated thought leadership through a strong publication record
- Background in linguistics and/or cognitive science