Double Fine Productions is currently looking for a highly experienced, professional Visual Effects Artist for its San Francisco studio. The primary job responsibilities are to create spectacular visual effects for Psychonauts 2's stylized look using Unreal. We are looking for someone to create state of the art vfx with current and next-gen technology and to work closely with other disciplines including audio, gameplay, graphics, and production to bring our games to life.
The ideal candidate has a strong understanding of the creation of stunning in-game visual effects and has relevant game industry experience. The candidate should demonstrate creativity, technical and artistic skills, and have a deep understanding of how to work within the constraints of a real-time console game environment. The candidate must exhibit excellent verbal and written communication skills. The role requires a minimum of 2 years of video game experience, and at least one published game on a modern platform (next gen/last gen/PC). Additional key success factors for this role include the ability to work well with others, and a passion for adding the extra polish that truly sets a game apart.
Double Fine is an inclusive company. We believe that a diverse team leads to best games. To help us increase the diversity of our team, we like to specifically encourage folks from underrepresented groups to apply.
1. Work closely with the content creators to bring gameplay-appropriate effects to life.
2. Use Unreal, Photoshop and Houdini to create and integrate visual effects.
3. Contribute to the further development of our effect authoring pipeline.
4. Contribute innovative and original ideas on all aspects of game production and development.
1. Experience creating advanced real-time visual effects out of a variety of building blocks including particles, static textures, animated textures, lights, post processing, materials, meshes and shaders.
2. Experience lighting, rendering and shading, and the knowledge to leverage the latest rendering innovations like Physically Based Shading.
3. Proficiency authoring HLSL and the ability to create stunning, shader-based visual effects.
4. Ability to create assets within the confines of real-time engine memory and performance constraints, and the ability to optimize effects to achieve the highest visual quality.
5. Excellent communication skills, including a meticulous and organized approach to the creation, naming and storage of the effects assets.
6. Proficiency with Unreal Engine VFX.
7. Self-motivated and passionate about making video games.
8. Team player with a great work ethic.
9. Commitment to personal and peer development and sharing best practices.
10. Keeps current with the state of the art in visual effects.
1. Experience scripting tools, pipelines and workflows to overcome technical challenges
2. Experience with Python, C#, C++
3. Experience with Adobe After Effects or another 2D compositing package
4. Experience using pix, gpad, or other gpu profiling tools
5. Experience with ios/android