Double Fine has an immediate opening for an experienced Senior Gameplay Programmer for its San Francisco development studio on the Psychonauts 2 team. You will be responsible for developing systems on multiple platforms, working in areas like gameplay, AI, combat, animation, designer support and potentially many other areas in order to support the needs of the team and the game. Applicants should have a strong preference for working in a highly creative, innovative, and nimble development environment, where collaborating with design, art, tech, and other disciplines is standard.
The ideal candidate has experience working with Unreal Engine 4, creating and supporting gameplay features such as AI, NPC behavior, dialogue system, pathfinding and combat. A knowledge of development best practices for modern consoles is a key qualification, as are good problem solving skills, systems architecture analysis, the ability to work well with others, and a passion for the process of developing creative, high-quality games.
Double Fine is an inclusive company. We believe that a diverse team leads to best games. To help us increase the diversity of our team, we like to specifically encourage folks from underrepresented groups to apply.
Build gameplay features and systems within Unreal Engine 4.
- Collaborate with art, design, and other programmers to architect, develop and support key gameplay systems.
- Communicate with other departments to understand problems and inefficiencies, and design and code solutions.
- Ensure newly developed engine systems are maintained for code cleanliness, performance, and extensibility.
At least five years working on gameplay systems within modern game engines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in C++.
- Knowledge of common data structures and algorithms.
- Proficient with linear algebra and general 3D mathematics.
- Demonstrated ability to take on technical issues across a variety of areas of game development.
- Demonstrated ability to implement features that improves gameplay and player experience.
- Ability to communicate and collaborate effectively with programmers, artists and designers.
- Ability to write clean, readable, reliable, and portable code.
- Desire and demonstrated ability to mentor junior programmers.
- At least one shipped title.
- A constant striving to learn and grow.
- A strong passion for video games and video game development.
One or more shipped titles using Unreal Engine 3 or 4.
- Experience with all stages of development from concept to shipping.
- Experience developing AI, NPC behavior, pathfinding and dialogue systems.
- Experience developing games for PS4 and/or Xbox One.
- Experience developing Action Adventure Games.