The Advisor will be based in Amman, Jordan and report to a USAID team lead as designated by the Syria Southern Assistance Platform (SSAP) Coordinator. The Advisor will provide outreach to Syrians living in Syria, the Diaspora community in Jordan, and throughout the region. The Advisor will build relationships with Syrian communities, organize meetings, and facilitate strategic messaging in support of humanitarian assistance programs, primarily in Daraa, Quneitra, Rif-Dimashq with the potential to later support programs in Raqqa, and Deir al-Zour. The Advisor will also assess political dynamics among Syrian communities and provide written and verbal reports on their development needs and disposition.
- Assist with coordination and outreach to Syrian communities and USAID’s network of local partners, measuring needs and capacity for collaboration within the context of the SSAP’s objectives;
- Organize and facilitate meetings with community leaders and local government officials;
- Monitor political, security, and economic developments;
- Prepare and deliver written and verbal reports;
- Utilize in-depth knowledge of local communities to design messaging that supports the delivery of humanitarian and other forms of non-lethal assistance;
- Conduct interviews and other data collection methods to assess the efficacy of USAID’s emergency assistance inside of Syria and propose recommendations to refine strategy; and
- Other duties as assigned by team leader.
- Bachelor's degree in a relevant field;
- 6+ years of experience working in outreach, communications, or migration issues;
- At least two years of direct experience working on Syria programs or policy inside of Syria;
- Recent experience (last two years) living and working inside of Syria preferred;
- Demonstrated experience in programs requiring strategic outreach and community engagement;
- Native Arabic language fluency required;
- English language fluency with excellent writing and verbal communication skills;
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methods preferred;
- Strong interpersonal skills, including a comfort working within an interdisciplinary and cross-cultural team;
- In-depth understanding of local, national, and regional dynamics related to Syria’s conflict; and
- Self-starter with ability to work and produce results in challenging and fluctuating operational contexts, under time pressure, with limited supervision and guidance.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Development Transformations, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.
About Development Transformations (DT):
Development Transformations (DT) is an international development organization that specializes in working within the confluence of countries and communities currently experiencing, or emerging from, conflict. We focus on improving the capability, capacity, and effectiveness of programs and personnel working in countries undergoing this rapid and transformational change. DT offers program design, program management, training, and technical expertise in the areas of civil society strengthening, countering violent extremism, organizational and institutional capacity building, stabilization, and transitional governance.