Development Transformations (DT) is seeking applications from candidates to serve as experts for short and medium-term performance evaluations of Department of State programs worldwide.
Only applicants with significant background in evaluation research design and execution will be considered. Senior-level applicants are particularly encouraged to apply.
Please indicate in your application your number of years of experience with evaluation and highlight evaluation-specific experience. The scope of work on these projects varies, but an accurate and complete assessment of your background will assist us in matching you with our evaluation needs.
DT will consider applicants with 7 years experience at a minimum. Mid-level applicants should have 8-15 years experience, and senior-level applicants 15+ years.
Overview of Department of State Evaluation:
The Office of Strategic and Performance Planning and the Office of the Director of U.S. Foreign Assistance at the U.S. Department of State have a requirement for Technical and Advisory Services in support of Department of State (DoS) Program Evaluation requirements. The Technical and Advisory services to be provided will play a critical role in assisting the Department with strengthening its Program/Project Evaluation Policy, consistent with the Office of Management and Budget’s (OMB’s) Government-wide initiative to enhance the capacity of Federal agencies to evaluate their programs.
Summary and Required Tasks:
Selected candidates for these positions will provide technical direction and overall guidance to the evaluation team for all activities, giving a particular focus on developing an evaluation plan, approach, and methods; conducting necessary desk study, data collection, field work and analysis, briefings; and potentially supervise the work of the evaluation team personnel.
Evaluations may be ordered under any technical area in which the Department works, but have historically focused in three major thematic areas: 1) evaluation of programs concerning combatting transnational organized crime, corruption, counter-narcotics programs, justice sector reform, and institutional capacity building, 2) evaluation of programs supporting democracy, human rights, and governance, and 3) evaluations of programs supporting conflict, transitions, reconstruction, and stabilization.
Selected candidates will submit reports that are based on rigorous data collected in the field to provide evidence-based and actionable recommendations for improvement. Evaluation reports should examine return on investment in activities and assemble data that can be used as a reliable baseline for program goals. Evaluation design and data collection should generally include mixed method analysis as appropriate to best answer evaluation questions.
- Master’s degree;
- At least seven (7) years’ experience designing and conducting large-scale evaluations that includes the collection, statistical analysis and interpretation of data, preferably with an international focus;
- Fluency in English with a proven ability to deliver excellent research, and analytical work in writing and during oral presentations;
- Willingness and ability to travel for two to six week periods in potentially austere or conflict-affected environments;
If you have experience in any of the following areas, please make us aware in your resume:
- Expert knowledge of statistical methods to prove evidence-based causative change in program effectiveness
- Comfort with statistical software packages (SAS, SPSS, R)
- Technical writing experience, proposal writing experience
- Experience in security sector and/or law enforcement
- Expertise in security issues related to transnational organized crime, corruption, counter-narcotics, justice sector reform, and institutional capacity building
- Working knowledge in foreign language(s)
- Experience working in conflict and post-conflict environments
- Supervisory experience
We ask that applicants voluntarily identify their EEO information using this form https://goo.gl/forms/SeHylNAiB1Pjwm2Z2
DT is an Equal Opportunity Employer that does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin.