The Civil Society in Syria Program (CSSP) or Taawon is a program, funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau for Near Eastern Affairs Office of Assistance Coordination (NEA) and implemented by Development Transformations (DT). The program aims to increase the ability of civil society organizations, advocacy organizations, and individuals to serve, represent, and advocate for all Syrians and hold local governance structures accountable. It aims to increase citizen participation, help strengthen non-sectarian voices, expand the moderate space, counter violent extremism, and provide increased accountability for local governance structures in throughout Syria.
The Social Media and Communications Specialist will serve as a consultant to provide technical support for assisting the CSSP to share the work of its partners on multiple media platforms. He/She will primarily focus on developing and editing content to be used for success and feature stories, as well as proactively monitoring various social media platforms for relevant material.
The Social Media and Communications Specialist will report directly to the Program Director; responsibilities will include, but not be limited to:
- Develop and edit content highlighting success and feature stories from the CSSP;
- Coordinate and implement communication strategies/plans/campaigns, including setting clear goals and objectives, defining key tasks, messaging, and audience targeting;
- Define a social media plan which leverages social media content, platforms, networks and partners to enhance coverage and support of program activities;
- Track and analyze social media, broadcast, and print to identify trends and/or issues and advise the Program Director on relevant social media activities taking place relevant to the CSSP;
- Collaborate with internal/external partners to ensure consistency in messaging in order to enhance understanding and support for the whole work of CSSP; and
- Ensure timely and accurate communications and outreach to internal and external partners and other appropriate.
Qualifications and Experience
- 5-8 years working in the media and/or journalism fields;
- Experience working with international organizations or advocacy groups with work relevant to advocacy or digital campaigns;
- Fluency in both English and Arabic language skills;
- Active residency and work visa credentials in Turkey preferred;
- Personal commitment, strong interpersonal skills, efficiency, attention to detail and flexibility;
- Excellent organizational and communication skills; and
- Demonstrated ability to prioritize tasks and produce results in a timely and quality manner.
Please provide relevant CV and no more than three published writing samples. Shortlisted candidates with be requested to take a brief writing test.
Development Transformations is an Equal Opportunity Employer.