Development Transformations (DT) is an international development organization that specializes in working within the confluence of countries and communities currently experiencing, or emerging from, conflict. We focus on improving the capability, capacity, and effectiveness of programs and personnel working in countries undergoing this rapid and transformational change. DT offers program design, program management, training, and technical expertise in the areas of civil society strengthening, countering violent extremism, organizational and institutional capacity building, stabilization, and transitional governance. Primary clients include USAID, the State Department, the Department of Defense, the Canadian government, and various development organizations.
Development Transformations seeks applicants from qualified candidates to serve as Deputy Chief of Party, Programs and Operations for an anticipated US State Department-funded civil society and governance development program. The program is focused on building the organizational capacity of civil society organizations within liberated areas of Syria through a broad range of grant packages and other assistance. The DCOP will support the Chief of Party and assist with the guidance and management of the project both technically and operationally. The position is anticipated to be based in Turkey or Germany.
The ideal candidate will have a broad range of program management experience at the Deputy Chief of Party level in areas related to civil society development; transitional governance; local and municipal service delivery; and will have expertise in program operations, finance, and management, preferably for US government-funded programming. The DCOP will assist the Chief of Party (COP) in program management. This will include a combination of both input to programming strategies and managing the top line financial and operational functions of the program, and will provide technical expertise as specified by the COP. This position will report to the Chief of Party.
· Assist the Chief of Party with managing and monitoring all program activity components, supervising staff, and overseeing office operations;
· Support the Chief of Party in overseeing the quality, cost effectiveness, and timeliness of performance of all work to ensure that the program meets its objectives within budget;
· Ensure program implementation is in compliance with DT’s policies/procedures, the host-country government, and US Department of State rules and regulations, particularly with respect to financial and grant management and operations;
· Manage the implementation of procurement and compliance systems, including financial tracking, pipeline projections, and inventory management, to meet and adapt to program challenges, including those related to cross-border programming;
· Responsible for top-level oversight of field office HR, IT, and other office support;
· Support technical implementation, maintain communication and momentum among project teams, and oversee project operations, including grants management, progress reporting, and administrative matters; and
· Represent the program to State/NEA and other constituents, as needed.
Required Experience and Skills:
· Masters degree business, finance, economics, or related field;
· Minimum of six years of progressive experience managing complex civil society, transitional governance, and economic growth programs in the Middle East and North Africa, including Syria, in a Deputy Chief of Party capacity;
· Minimum of six years of relevant progressive experience in operations and finance management, including the supervision of large teams and management of “back office” support in countries undergoing transition;
· Demonstrated ability with strong interpersonal skills to create and maintain effective working relations with government officials, private sector stakeholders, and civil society leaders;
· Professional experience in managing and implementing USG-funded projects;
· Thorough knowledge and understanding of the economic and political context in Syria;
· Well organized, able to work independently, skilled in handling multiple tasks, deadline-oriented, and diplomatic;
· Prior experience using formal accounting platforms, such as Procas or Deltek, and in training Finance/Accounting staff in the use of such platforms.
· Demonstrated mastery of USG rules and regulations;
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in English;
· Arabic and/or Turkish language fluency preferred.
· Minimum of three years of overseas field-based experience required.
Travel estimated at up to 40%.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties.
Qualified candidates are invited to submit their resumes and cover letters. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Development Transformations, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin.