We're looking for a front-end software engineer to join our team in San Francisco and help us transform Descript from a single track audio word processor into the new standard for talk-driven media production.
This is an exciting opportunity for a recent C.S. grad or someone with a few years of experience as a software engineer to work with a team of experienced software engineers on our React web applications, including internal tools, customer account management, transcriptionist management, and components of the Web version of Descript.
- Architecting, developing, deploying and scaling our web applications (React), and our REST APIs (node)
- Design and manage our data infrastructure including our PostgreSQL DB
- Work in a collaborative and interactive environment with our native app team, product, and design
- Discover, evaluate and adopt new technologies that can enhance our applications and/or improve our efficiency
- Dedicated to shipping a quality/bug free product through testable and tested code
- 2+ years of previous work experience or B.Sc. or M.Sc. in Computer Science or related field
- Knowledge and experience with data structures, algorithms, design patterns and computer science fundamentals
- Has architected, developed, deployed a REST API consumed by other users
- Fluent with deployment on Linux/Unix Systems (we are on Heroku and AWS)
- Extensive experience working with SQL
- Strong team contributor, great communication skills, collaborative
- Driven, self disciplined, responsible and organized. E.g. own a project from start to finish
- Self aware of capabilities yet seeking to constantly learn and improve
As a core member of our small engineering team, we’re looking for individuals that love working and thinking about consumer-facing experiences. This is not a job where you'll be implementing painstakingly detailed specs - we work best with engineers that want to understand the desired outcomes, and be given the autonomy to figure out the right path. It's also important to us that you're comfortable collaborating and problem-solving with non-engineers - among others, you'll be working closely with our designer, CEO, and product specialist.