Brooklyn, NYFellowship dates:
January 7, 2020 - November 6, 2020Compensation:
Full time; 10 am to 6 pm, Monday through FridayBenefits:
Vision, dental, & medical insuranceLevel:
At Democracy Works, we believe voting should fit the way we live. To that end, we build technology for both voters and election administrators that simplifies the process and ensures that no voter should ever have to miss an election.The Voting Information Project
(VIP) coordinates with state election offices to publish nationally-standardized information about where and how to vote—data that powers everything from Google’s polling place search to our text message and email reminders to TurboVote users. The Data Fellow will work with the VIP team for the 2020 election cycle, assisting with collecting, cleaning, and ensuring the accuracy of a nation’s worth of election data.You will:
- Work with Democracy Works technical staff to collect and organize elections data from state and local election offices
- Assist with standardizing & cleaning datasets in spreadsheets or tabular formats
- Perform quality assurance checks on the information to assure accuracy and completeness of the data
- Research partner and user-reported errors
- Extremely attentive to details
- Proficient at working with data
- Able to organize non-centralized, non-standard information into a coherent format
- Knowledgeable on a basic level of American politics, elections, and/or election administration
- Skilled at managing competing priorities
- Happy to pitch in wherever help is needed
You have experience:
- Working with Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or other data management software
- Communicating across different areas of expertise and working in teams
- Working on tight deadlines and quickly turning around deliverables
This position requires regular, daily use of a computer to conduct work and communicate with colleagues.
This position requires regular check-ins with colleagues and occasional external-facing meetings.
Time and travel expectations:
Democracy Works’s regular operating hours are 10 a.m. - 6 p.m. Eastern time. During the weeks directly prior to elections, VIP staff may be expected to work additional weekend or evening hours.
To apply, upload a resume and respond to the following questions (in lieu of a cover letter) using the form below.
In your responses, please include only the following information:
- How did you find this job listing?
- In one sentence, what makes you interested in Democracy Works?
- In one sentence, what makes you interested in this role?
- Would you be available to start by January 7th, 2020?
- Are you willing to work at a non-partisan organization?
- Do you have experience working with Microsoft Excel, Google Sheets, or other data management software?
- Do you have planned travel during the span of the fellowship?
As part of our application, you’ll see an optional form used to collect EEOC demographic information. The data collected in this form is useful in our EEOC reporting and in our assessment of our recruitment practices. However, please keep in mind that the standardized EEOC language used in this form does not reflect the values of Democracy Works--for example, we don’t view gender as binary. We also encourage all applicants to state their pronouns when applying for any job opening at Democracy Works.
Democracy Works is committed to diversity and inclusion in everything we do and aspires to have a team that's representative of the voters we serve. When hiring, we practice proactive outreach to top talent that’s underrepresented in our sector. We conduct an anonymized skills evaluation, to reduce implicit bias and resume-dependency in our process. We're a woman- and gay-founded nonprofit, and promote an inclusive culture that stands against racism, sexism, homophobia, and ableism (to name a few). To be explicit, we strongly encourage applicants of all races, ethnicities, political party associations, religions (or lack thereof), national origins, sexual orientations, genders, sexes, ages, abilities, and branches of military service.
Feel free to contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about our commitment to inclusion or about general hiring practices, or if you need an accommodation for a medical condition during the hiring process. Democracy Works posts all current career opportunities at democracy.works/careers