Defiant Studios was founded in New York City in 2016 by industry veterans with many decades of experience in designing, building and producing AAA games for a global audience. We strive to create incredible gameplay experiences while working with curious and passionate people. Our focus is to explore and expand the boundaries of cooperative multiplayer games through compelling storytelling woven into unique and beautiful worlds.
Defiant is currently developing multiple unannounced projects including a groundbreaking original AAA IP for next generation platforms. Defiant Studios is looking for a REAL TIME VFX Artist to work on upcoming AAA games. Your work will range from creating gameplay effects to authoring large set piece destruction. Responsibilities will include owning and improving the VFX pipeline at Defiant Studios and being able to take an effect from simulation, creating flipbooks to setting up the effect in the game engine. The ideal candidate feels comfortable in a team environment and wants to push the limits of what is currently possible in real time rendering.
To apply for this position, please provide a Cover Letter, detailed Resume which includes your current location, and a working link for your portfolio. Further information is provided under our non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate for full-time positions in New York.
- 3+ years industry experience as a VFX Artist and at least one shipped title
- Expert knowledge of Houdini
- Solid understanding of game engines and PBR rendering
- A portfolio showcasing high-quality effects
- The ability to view visual references of an effect, deconstruct it and subsequently re-create it in engine is essential
- Strong knowledge of particle systems, cloth simulation, physics and lighting
- High proficiency in technical problem solving Desired Qualifications
- Experience working with and knowledge of PS4 and Xbox One hardware
- Experience with Cascade and Niagara in Unreal Engine 4
- Good understanding of Materials in Unreal Engine 4
- Experience in scripting or C++
- Experience in HLSL or GLSL
- Knowledge of Maya and Substance Designer
Defiant Studios offers a comprehensive range of benefits for all full-time employees including 100% company paid Medical, Dental, and Vision plans, company paid holidays and an attractive paid time off policy which includes 3 weeks of company-wide vacation as well as unlimited paid vacation days. In addition, we offer Relocation Assistance, Short and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Pet Insurance, Flexible Savings Account Programs, Commuter Tax benefits, flexible work hours and discounted gym memberships to keep our staff healthy and happy. Defiant Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer.