Defiant Studios was founded in New York City in 2016 by industry veterans with many decades of experience in designing, building and producing AAA games for a global audience. We strive to create incredible gameplay experiences while working with curious and passionate people. Our focus is to explore and expand the boundaries of cooperative multiplayer games through compelling storytelling woven into unique and beautiful worlds. Defiant is currently developing multiple unannounced projects including a groundbreaking original AAA IP for next generation platforms.
As a Technical Designer at Defiant Studios, your work will be focused around building fun and creative elements that bring life to our games. You will work within your team as well as cross discipline so you must be flexible and adaptable. You will be a major link between content creators, coders, and a central figure in the development process.
To apply for this position, please provide a Cover Letter, detailed Resume which includes your current location, and a working link for your portfolio. Further information is provided under our non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate for full-time positions in New York.
- 3+ years industry experience as programmer or technical designer
- One or more games shipped as programmer or technical designer
- Write/design gameplay specifications for coders
- Design/implement in-house tools
- Prototype new functionalities
- Support designers in designing/implementing AI & behaviors
- Support designers in tuning and balancing key aspects of the game
- Set up scripting and entities/locations creation workflows
- Set up and maintain tools bug/feature database
- Significant Python scripting experience, basic C++ proficiency
- Comfortable with physics and mathematics
- Working experience giving high and low level design and technical feedback to other designers (as well as receiving critical feedback)
- You're articulate, have strong conceptual skills and the ability to communicate your ideas visually and verbally
- Passion for games and ability to articulate that passion clearly and analytically
- Experience in working with behavior trees and/or other AI management systems
- Experience with UE4 engine development
- Experience working on multiplayer games
Further information is provided under our non-disclosure agreement only. All applicants are required to relocate for full-time positions in New York.
Defiant Studios offers a comprehensive range of benefits for all full-time employees including 100% company paid Medical, Dental, and Vision plans, company paid holidays and an attractive paid time off policy which includes 3 weeks of company-wide vacation as well as unlimited paid vacation days. In addition, we offer Relocation Assistance, Short and Long Term Disability, Life Insurance, Pet Insurance, Flexible Savings Account Programs, Commuter Tax benefits, flexible work hours and discounted gym memberships to keep our staff healthy and happy. Defiant Studios is an Equal Opportunity Employer.