David Zwirner seeks a Photography Manager to coordinate and oversee the photography needs of our 20th Street gallery, as related to Sales, Marketing, Publishing, as well as artist and archival needs. Working closely with Sales and Artist Management, this role is will partner with a highly talented in-house team comprised of photographers, retouchers, and coordinators, as well as external photography-related vendors and contributors.
Reporting to the Creative Director, this role requires deep experience and understanding of fine art photography and publishing. In addition, this role will work alongside skilled archivists who handle photo research requests, rights and reproductions experts, and the digital photo archive for the entire global institution.
Primary Responsibilities Include:
- Oversee all 20th Street Gallery photography from pre- to post-production, securing relevant approvals and ensuring proper archivization, ensuring all relevant timelines are met and resulting images are of best quality
- Act as point person for 20th Street Gallery artists, estates and related teams, to ensure imaging needs (photography, archival, image research) are met and approved in timely manner
- Partner with Design, Marketing, and Photography teams to generate relevant sales previews, format images for website, and assist with sales rendering requests
- Partner with the Image Archivist to ensure the maintenance and organization of the hard archive (transparencies, slides, prints)
- Partner with Director of Rights & Reproductions to respond to requests for select artists, as well as image research and securing from external sources for key digital projects, as needed
- Partner with Photography and Archive teams to select and source images for 20th Street gallery and select digital initiatives, ensure that digital files are color-corrected, edited and properly prepared, including precise silhouetting of artwork images
- Provide and/or proof captions, credits, copyright information and other associated text as needed.
- Support in 20th Street photography-related uploads to the website (inventory, installation views, artist surveys etc) as needed
- Schedule off-site photography as needed (studios, art fairs, warehouses, etc.)
- Hire and manage freelance photographers and retouchers as needed
- Manage and reconcile 20th Street budgets
- Bachelor’s degree required in photography, graphic design, art, art history, or related fields
- Minimum of 5 years of experience producing and overseeing fine art photography
- Experience with and deep knowledge of arts organizations such as galleries, museums, or auction house, including print and digital publishing experience, required
- Understanding of pre- and post-production needs for quality captures, including lighting, color, and software needs
- Exceptional photo proofing skills; adept at retouching, color correction and cropping
- Advanced understanding of digital asset management standards and best practices including file-naming, metadata, file formats, and workflows
- Proficiency with image editing; emphasis on strong visual acuity and color sensibility in preparing archive and publication-ready digital files to exacting standards
- Proficiency with Mac-based computer systems, and Word, Excel, Adobe Suite, FileMaker Pro
- Experience managing freelance and full-time resources
- Proactive problem solver, great collaborator, and responsive communicator
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team with dedication to excellence
Position hours are Monday-Friday, 10am to 6pm. Candidate will occasionally need to work additional hours. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Absolutely no calls or walk-ins please.
David Zwirner is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The Gallery is firmly committed to equal employment opportunities in all facets of its operations. The Gallery makes decisions concerning hiring and terms and conditions of employment without regard to any characteristic protected by applicable law.