David Zwirner seeks a Registrar for its secondary market gallery. The ideal candidate will have a BA or higher in Studio Art, Art History and/or Arts Administration, and at least three-five years experience in registration or collections management. Superior organizational skills, the ability to carefully manage projects with discretion and meet deadlines, and a thorough working knowledge of registration, fine art shipping and logistics are required.
Primary responsibilities include
- Coordinate local, domestic and international shipments for sold artworks, incoming consignments or loans for general gallery purposes between global locations, art fairs, and exhibitions
- Draft and oversee consignment and loan agreements
- Liaise with clients to coordinate shipping of sold artworks
- Responsible for understanding customs and tax regulations and requirements for shipping artworks internationally
- Compile, process, and manage records of associated shipping paperwork in accordance with New York State Sales Tax requirements
- Provide shipping and crating estimates for clients, art fairs and exhibition budgets
- Work with Art Handlers and artist estates/foundations to determine best packing and handling procedures and communicate requirements to shipping companies and clients
- Conduct incoming and outgoing condition inspections
- Ensure Certificates of Authenticity, manuals, and installation documents are provided to clients or borrowers for outgoing artwork
- Coordinate gallery and offsite installations of artwork; act as courier as needed
- Monitor insurance requirements and limits; process Certificates of Insurance
- Manage gallery inventory on-site and in storage
- BA (Art History, Administration, Studio Arts preferred)
- 3-5 years experience in a museum, gallery, art institution or fine art logistics company
- Must have experience with domestic and international fine art shipping and logistics
- Familiarity with various mediums of artwork; working knowledge of conservation techniques a plus
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and able to work on multiple projects at once
- Ability to work under pressure and within a large organization
Position hours are Monday-Friday, 10am to 6pm, with additional hours as needed. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Absolutely no calls or walk-ins, please.
The Gallery is firmly committed to equal employment opportunities in all facets of its operations. The Gallery makes decisions concerning hiring and terms and conditions of employment without regard to any characteristic protected by applicable law.