The Visual Content Director will be responsible for developing, executing, and managing all visual content for David Zwirner globally. This includes but it is not limited to graphic design and production as well as the coordination, creation, and distribution of photography and video.
This role will partner closely with Sales, Artist Management, Press, Marketing and Books teams to ensure that all visual documentation and presentation of our artists’ work and gallery initiatives are thoughtfully executed, accurately represented, carefully archived, and correctly distributed.
The Visual Content Director serves a critical role at the gallery in both preserving and presenting the work and legacy of our artist and estates in a range of formats and mediums.
Reporting to the Director of Marketing, this photo-focused role will oversee a highly talented team comprised of photographers, photo coordinators, designers, videographers, and editors, as well as external contributors and agencies for both David Zwirner and David Zwirner Books. The Visual Content Director will provide direction and leadership to these teams, set timelines and manage executions, and communicate effectively to internal and external stakeholders.
In addition, this role will oversee the photo archive and a growing team of photo archivists who handle all photo research requests and the digital photo archive for the entire institution.
Primary responsibilities include:
- Manage the creation and distribution of all visual content for David Zwirner and David Zwirner Books, which includes but is not limited to photography, video, and print and digital design
- Lead, manage, and mentor in-house Visual teams comprised of photography, video, design, and photo archive
- Partner closely with the Sales and Artist Management teams to ensure alignment on priorities, timelines, and identify opportunities to refine and enhance the process and results
- Oversee the creative budgets, working with internal partners to forecast and actualize budgets as needed
- Help develop and manage workflow, process, and best practices for Visual teams and their partners in Sales and Marketing
- Formalize Visual guidelines (across photo, video, print and digital design) while continuously exploring new ways to refine and enhance our visual presentation
- Partner with Sales, Marketing, Digital, and Research teams as needed to develop and produce relevant creative for special projects
- Partner with Sales/Artist Managers as needed working closely with artists and estates on select projects; partner with Books, Marketing & Digital on new initiatives and select projects
- Develop and maintain relationships with freelance photographers, videographers and designers for special David Zwirner and David Zwirner Books projects
- Fluency in the fine art world; 5+ years of related experience within a publishing or arts institution required, ideally with a print media publication or museum publishing
- Deep understanding of shoot production, photography, photo editing and art direction required, ideally within an arts and exhibitions-based backdrop
- Exceptional photo proofing skills; adept at retouching, color correction and cropping
- Experience producing and creating visual assets for multiple channels and mediums including print advertisements, books, signage, video, social, and digital
- Experience building, managing and nurturing a creative team of 5+ people ranging in responsibilities, skill set, and career level
- Comfortable working across multiple disciplines within the Marketing team across the gallery and David Zwirner Books
- Strong management experience overseeing team
- Proactive problem solver and great collaborator
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced, high volume team with exacting standards
Position hours are Monday-Friday, 10am to 6pm. Candidate will occasionally need to work additional hours. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Absolutely no calls or walk-ins please.
The Gallery is firmly committed to equal employment opportunities in all facets of its operations. The Gallery makes decisions concerning hiring and terms and conditions of employment without regard to any characteristic protected by applicable law.