David Zwirner seeks a Registrar for its primary market gallery. The ideal candidate will have a BA or higher in Art History and/or Arts Administration, and at least three years experience in registration or collections management. Superior organizational and leadership skills, the ability to carefully manage projects and meet deadlines, and a thorough working knowledge of registration, fine art shipping and logistics are required.
Primary responsibilities include
- Draft and oversee consignment and loan agreements for select artists
- Coordinate domestic and international shipments
- Provide shipping and crating estimates for exhibition budgets
- Responsible for understanding customs and tax regulations and requirements for shipping artworks internationally
- Compile, process, and manage records of all associated shipping paperwork in accordance with New York State Sales Tax requirements
- Work with Art Fairs department to arrange shipments from clients and artist studios, provide packing and handling requirements, complete condition reports, and deliver sold artwork
- Work with Head Art Handler and artist studios to determine best packing and handling procedures and communicate requirements to shipping companies
- Conduct incoming and outgoing condition inspections
- Ensure Certificates of Authenticity, manuals, and installation documents are provided to clients or borrowers for outgoing artwork
- Courier artwork internationally for select loans and traveling exhibitions
- BA (Art History, Administration, Studio Arts preferred)
- 3+ years experience in a museum, gallery, or art institution
- Must have experience with domestic and international fine art shipping and logistics
- Familiarity with various mediums of artwork; working knowledge of conservation techniques a plus
- Must be extremely detail-oriented and able to work on multiple projects at once
- Ability to work under pressure and within a large organization
Position hours are Monday-Friday, 10am to 6pm, with additional hours as needed. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. Absolutely no calls or walk-ins, please.
The Gallery is firmly committed to equal employment opportunities in all facets of its operations. The Gallery makes decisions concerning hiring and terms and conditions of employment without regard to any characteristic protected by applicable law.