Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate maker and cafe in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origin as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Today, we’re seeking an Assistant General Manager to support and help lead our team in the long-awaited opening of Bloom, an upscale pastry experience within our 16th Street Factory.
About the Role
There will be no typical day at Bloom, and we’re looking for leaders who are excited to help create a world-class experience for everyone from the chocolate novice to the industry expert (and is savvy enough to know the difference). Collaborating with the team is as important as leading one. Whether it’s creating a sustainable system for laundering the cloth napkins to delighting a guest on their birthday, you’ll get a chance to put your leadership, systems-thinking, and hospitality skills to the test. Working alongside the General Manager and your team, you’ll create unique, amazing experiences for our guests as well as foster a caring, stable, and supportive environment for the team. This full-time role starts at $21/hour plus tips.
Our ideal candidate is a mature, team-oriented assistant manager who is equally enthusiastic about supporting the team and the guest experience. You have the experience to know that no plan ever goes perfectly -- team members call out sick, machines break -- and you always have a Plan B in your back pocket. Your style of leadership balances both type-A rigor with empathetic soft skills. You’ve previously built long-standing systems like checklists, guidelines, and documentation that help the team operate at its best, even when the line is out the door. In addition to leadership skills, you have the soft skills to understand a team member’s long-term motivation and to help them map a long-term career path in hospitality and chocolate. You will be measured on your ability to support your team in providing world-class guest experiences, the tenure of your team members, how well you keep the cafe’s daily operations humming, your team’s trust & respect, your leadership values, and your ability to improve our guest experiences at Bloom each year.
- Systems and Processes -- Maintain smooth daily operations: provide tools for team members to continuously improve, make sure supplies and tools are available, keep the space neat and organized, periodically audit checklists, serve as a double-check on inventory, merchandising, and scheduling, and maintain food and safety standards for health and safety compliance.
- Special Events -- Coordinate and manage special events in the Bloom salon space. From a baby shower to a corporate meeting, you are sure to handle every detail and over time, develop checklists and playbooks to make sure nothing slips through the cracks.
- Leadership -- Proactively contribute ideas to optimize our space, work with the team to continually improve the guest experience, and streamline team operations so that we improve each year. Understand your resources, delegate tasks, and work closely with the General Manager to ensure the highest levels of hospitality with minimal surprises.
- Hospitality -- Maintain a high level of hospitality and serve as a role model for the team. Continually look for ways to improve the guest experience and delight visitors and team members alike. You work with the team to create and champion systems that could be rolled out to new locations. Create staffing plans that optimize efficiency and hospitality.
- Goals and Results -- Use tools such as When I Work, Square, Stitch Labs, and Resy to track sales, reservations, equipment, and purchases so we can see our year-to-year progress and make goals for the year ahead.
- Other tasks as necessary
- Flexible Schedule -- For this full-time role, you have the availability and flexibility to work daytime and weekend shifts.
- Leadership Experience -- You have at least a year of prior assistant management or leadership experience in an environment with an emphasis on high-touch service and hospitality. You’ve already dealt with a few tricky situations and have the steady confidence to keep a level head when the team needs you most.
- Technical & Computer Aptitude -- You have the computer skills to develop checklists and training materials, maintain email filters to prioritize your inbox, and check social media for recent reviews.
- Mechanical Know-How -- When the ice machine breaks, you can troubleshoot minor issues and interface with service professionals as necessary to ensure minimal downtime.
- Excellent Communication Skills -- This role depends upon maintaining strong relationships across multiple teams and locations. Your strong verbal and written skills make it easy to handle guest issues, respond to emails, lead training sessions, and build trust across departments.
The benefits and perks continue beyond a robust chocolate and coffee education. Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in our people and culture. All team members receive medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All employees receive paid vacation time, holiday pay, and paid sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, FSAs, local gym discounts, chocolate tasting opportunities, the chance to travel to origin and our Japan locations, and a range of opportunities to grow and develop within the company.
How to Apply
Dandelion Chocolate is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role in order to contribute in a bigger way with us. To stand out from the crowd, send us your resume and a cover letter that details your favorite food experience and the best team you’ve ever worked with. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to join our café team.