Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory based in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients—cocoa beans and cane sugar—and travel to origin as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Our Ferry Building shop sees thousands of visitors each month and is one of the first small-batch bean-to-bar chocolate shops in San Francisco. As we grow our team inside the Ferry Building, we are seeking passionate, outgoing chocolate enthusiasts who will share our producers’ stories, our chocolate making philosophies, and our chocolate.
About the Job
With the variety of guests that come through the Ferry Building, you’ll spend a lot of time discussing our mission, story, and chocolate. Throughout the week you’ll be making coffee and chocolate drinks, restocking, and responding to guests’ questions in thoughtful detail. As a member of our team, you’ll train with Ritual Coffee Roasters and spend a day with our production team to learn the ins-and-outs of chocolate making. After that, you’ll be ready to dive in and get your hands dirty. We're looking for a full-time team member with the flexibility to work a variety of opening and closing shifts. This role starts at $15/hour plus tips. We also provide benefits and ample and obligatory chocolate tasting opportunities.
Our ideal candidate is outgoing, organized, and enjoys interacting with the variety of local and global guests that stop by the shop. You don’t have to be a chocolate expert yet, we’re happy to teach you all we know about the world of craft chocolate. However, you should be eager to learn and comfortable with talking to a diverse group of guests, whether they are lifelong enthusiasts or chocolate novices. You love to share knowledge and brainstorm new ways to creatively engage guests and build relationships with the community. As part of our onboarding and training, you will attend our Chocolate 101, 201 classes, and Flavorientation. As a reliable member of our close-knit Ferry Building team, you help us continue to develop Dandelion Chocolate’s presence with the community. Previous coffee, craft food, or retail experience is a plus.
- Create espresso and chocolate drinks every day quickly and accurately.
- Be timely, dress professionally, and be ready to work through your shift
- Inspire guests to know more about chocolate! You should be able to develop a quick rapport with customers by detailing our chocolate making process and why you relate to it.
- Complete our Chocolate 101 and Chocolate 201 classes, as well as other Dandelion Chocolate curriculum.
- Anticipate the needs of your coworkers by coming to work ready to perform for peak business hours.
- Other tasks as necessary
- Availability on weekends, early mornings, and some evenings.
- A passion for chocolate!
- Experience making espresso drinks is a plus.
- Familiarity with a fast-paced work environment.
- 1-2 years of retail or customer-facing work experience.
- Proven ability to work well within a team environment.
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. Hourly employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Dandelion Chocolate is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role in order to contribute in a bigger way with us. If you are interested, we’d like to see your resume and a cover letter that details your favorite food experience or influence. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to join our retail team.