Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. For the last hundred years, consumers have regarded chocolate as a consistent, industrialized treat. Today, we’re building appreciation for craft chocolate through tours, events, and an open factory where guests can see the process and connect with the stories while enjoying a chocolatey treat. Our future Director of Chocolate Experiences will manage and develop team members and coordinate systems to build world-class chocolate experiences for future generations of chocolate enthusiasts.
About the Role
This is a new role for Dandelion Chocolate reporting to the CEO and managing our existing Events & Education team (some of whom have been with the organization since we were at Farmers’ Markets!). Through your direction, you’ll build an internationally-acclaimed chocolate education, tours, and private events program. You will help hire, build, and grow a team of experts who will make us the best in the world in a few specific areas: our education program will rival other top-notch online schools and pedigreed degrees and attract the most talented future chocolate making professionals across the globe; our tours and experiences will be approachable and interesting for enthusiasts of all levels; and our private events will drive revenue and chocolate evangelism. Because of this program, San Francisco guests will have a go-to destination for chocolate tours, chefs and chocolatiers will travel to Dandelion Chocolate to further their culinary talents, and craft chocolate will become a cornerstone of American food culture.
You’ll have enormous influence in the culture of chocolate so, above all, we’re looking for a can-do leader whose values will set the DNA for future chocolate makers and cacao enthusiasts. We’re looking for a blend of shoot-for-the-moon vision, roll-up-your sleeves can-do spirit, succeed-despite-all-odds perseverance, and, above all, humility so that others want to work with you again (and again and again). Our ideal candidate has been-there-done-that experience in either Events, Education, or Marketing, has nothing left to prove in their career, and has significant experience managing a team to perform at their best. However, for the right opportunity, they would jump at a chance to build something truly ground-breaking in a city that loves food, stories, off-the-beaten-path experiences, and a hot chocolate on a foggy day.
- Expertise: We don’t expect you to know everything about chocolate -- we can share everything we know! However, your insatiable curiosity that asks questions until you thoroughly understand a subject matter will serve you well. And when you don’t have the answer, you readily admit what you don’t know and can turn to academic research, other experts, or run experiments to research further.
- Leadership: Oversee tours, education, classes, private events, and future education program with a very experienced group of teachers and leaders. To initially get going, be ready to teach all classes at any skill level as necessary. You can serve as a spokesperson for Dandelion Chocolate as necessary.
- Management: Hire and manage a team to continue a tradition of detail-oriented, high-touch care through weekly 1:1s and regular team meetings. We’re looking for you to get the team to perform at its best and to reach our goal of educating the world in chocolate. We’re not looking for you to single handedly do everything, we are looking for you to run the team that makes this happen.
- Vision: Take our Events & Education program to the next level. Build out a program and team to make Dandelion Chocolate a premier destination for exploring, learning about, and enjoying chocolate in all its forms. Develop a program so that traveling guests have a multi-hour experience that could include tours, classes, tastings, demos, evening talks, and special events.
- Operations: Create systems and delegate to make sure all of the minutiae that comes with building a program from scratch are taken care of -- from handling regulatory issues, juggling scheduling and staffing for multiple experiences per day, ordering supplies and materials, research insurance requirements for guests traveling to Papua New Guinea on a chocolate trip.
- Systems: Build programs for staff development, training, and advancement. Oversee expert team members in developing curriculum for internal teams to use when onboarding and training new members. Organize materials on Google Drive so that vendor information, class materials, and schedules are easily accessible for anyone in the organization. Build systems, automation, and programs so that you can go on vacation and all of the educations programs will continue to operate seamlessly.
- Communication: Coordinate with the guest care team at Dandelion Chocolate to ensure our customers receive 7-day guest care with personalized attention for events, tours, and education questions. Help develop coaching materials that articulate how we communicate with guests.
- Special events: Work with press team to drive events like National S’more Day, 12 Nights of Chocolate, or hosting a tour for Mission High School.
- Tech Savvy: Help build out a world-class online chocolate education program complementary to our real world tours, to help establish Dandelion as a world-wide thought leader in chocolate.
- Other tasks as necessary
- Leadership Experience: You’ve taught, managed, developed, and scaled from scratch teams within Education, Events, or Marketing leadership roles.
- Technical skills: You can track budgets, manage advertising campaigns online, and troubleshoot HTML on blogs. In addition, We use tools such as Freshdesk, Square, WordPress, Shopify, Dialpad, spreadsheets, and Google Suite, just to name a few. We’re happy to train anyone -- a can-do attitude will serve you well.
- Excellent verbal and writing skills: You have impeccable spelling and grammar and communicate with simplicity and warmth. You read between the lines and write emails for a desired emotional effect.
- Active listening: You are naturally curious and ask questions rather than pushing agendas or rushing to a response.
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. Employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local discounts, flexible spending accounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
Please email email@example.com
with a copy of your resume and cover letter. You’ll stand out from the crowd if you include one or two sentences detailing a favorite listening experience
. We do our best to respond to all serious candidates within 7-14 days. We look forward to hearing from you!