Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate maker and café in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origin as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Today we’re seeking a positive, detail-oriented Packaging Team Manager to help lead our team of Product Makers as we scale up.
About The Job
At Dandelion Chocolate, we're in an exciting period of expansion, which means growing our teams and leadership levels, testing out new machines, improving processes, and working across multiple locations. As the Packaging Team Manager, you will be responsible for managing a team of product makers to ensure that we meet all of our goals and our final products look exquisite. A typical day might start with putting the final touches on the daily plan, ensuring we are on track to hit our making goals, and communicating the plan to the team in our morning check-in. After the meeting, you might head to our factory space to help the team implement an efficiency project they’ve been working on. You’ll work with them to set milestones for tracking how this will change our daily goals over time and record all the data for your next check-in. Next, you take a look at our inventory spreadsheet, place an order for supplies, and then set up a space for deliveries to in case you aren’t around to receive them. After taking lunch, you’ll come back for an afternoon check-in with the team, and then head out to interview a Product Maker candidate. Later, you might have a meeting with the Head of Production to devise a plan for a big custom order coming up next month. At the end of the day, you will join the team in tidying up the space, and as you head out, congratulate them on all the goals we hit that day.
You'll be reporting to the Head of Production and working closely with the Chocolate Operations, Creative/Product design, and Production teams to hit packaging goals and make products that meet the highest quality standards. Success in this role means that you consistently hit your goals, you are able to scale your team and process as we increase production, and your team is motivated and on task to make the highest quality products possible.
Our ideal candidate loves building a cohesive, positive team of Product Makers by ensuring that they have the knowledge and tools they need. You thrive on creating systems to track your team’s progress and are always sure to make information available so that labels are accurate and products are made to spec. From storage bins to team schedules, you love keeping things organized and have an eye for making processes more efficient. You also find great satisfaction in a job done beautifully with a focus on quality and consistency -- you are the first to notice if a label is askew or a ribbon is uneven. You approach every situation with a can-do attitude no matter how sticky (or chocolatey) it might get. You keep your cool under pressure and maintain a healthy perspective on the daily ups and downs and amid changing priorities. Whether it’s guidance or a new ribbon, you love helping others get what they need to be successful. You’re confident in your project management, interviewing and hiring, and long-term planning skills. You'll be measured by your ability to successfully hit goals, deadlines, and quality metrics, and keep your team running safely.
- Safety: Uphold company policies and safety procedures to keep everyone as safe as possible. We work with heavy machinery each day and our team members depend upon each other to maintain strict safety standards.
- Goals: Consistently hit deliverables and deadlines for gift products, packing for wholesale, and bar wrapping through effective goal setting and implementation.
- Strategy: Create and maintain a strategic daily, weekly, monthly production plan and communicate it to your team and the Head of Production so we avoid surprises.
- Quality: Maintain the highest quality standards while working with the Flavor and Quality managers to implement systems to continue to improve our products over time.
- Coaching & Team Building: Develop and grow individuals within the team and address any performance issues. Maintain an appropriate bar for talent and behavior. Meet with team members regularly to create long-term goals. Conduct interviews and coordinate with People Operations to build a healthy, adaptable team.
- Flexibility: Troubleshoot and adapt the plan for hiccups in everyday production, including broken machines, team members being out, or a new product being introduced
- Inventory: Maintain inventory and source product-making supplies to support production goals
- Making: Hands-on tasks when required.
- Other tasks as necessary
- 2+ years experience in a leadership role in a deadline-driven, team environment where setting and meeting goals is essential.
- Production planning or making experience -- you easily organize a production flow and can teach others how to make things to spec. Whether it's a kitchen, catering, or other hands-on making experience, those skills would serve you well in this role.
- Project management and prioritization skills -- you understand competing priorities and always try to maximize what you can accomplish with the available time and resources.
- Excellent communication skills -- your communication style is approachable and clear, making it easy to coordinate with your team as well as other managers across the company.
- Organizational skills -- you're a motivated, buttoned-up person who likes to plan (and back-up plan, and to backup your back-up plan) to make sure all your t’s are crossed and i’s are dotted.
- Positive attitude -- People want to work with you and around you again and again.
- Keen attention to detail -- you adhere to quality standards even when it’s not convenient.
- Computer skills -- knowledge of Excel, Google Suite, and Word. Ability to learn other tools.
- Ability to perform tasks requiring standing for extended periods of time and walking throughout shift. Must be able to lift 50lbs.
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- Fluent spoken and written English. Spanish language skills a plus!
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. All employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Dandelion is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role and are interested in contributing in a bigger way with us. If you are interested, we’d like to see your resume and a cover letter with a few sentences describing the best team you’ve worked with and why it worked so well. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work, so tell us what inspires you to want to join our product making team.