Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco’s Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment the beans we buy. Every chocolate bar we make starts with the bean, and now we’re looking for a pastry assistant to help us showcase our single origin chocolate and join us as we move into the new kitchen below our 16th Street Factory.
About the Job
Our pastries are inspired by the distinct flavor profiles of the cocoa beans we source, which means our recipes are continually evolving within a unique creative constraint. You will learn each of our recipes in detail and support the café’s changing needs by making new batches of drinks and pastries. Our executive pastry chef, Lisa Vega (formerly of Gary Danko), helms the kitchen and leads recipe development. Every day in the kitchen starts early and ends with preparation of batters and doughs for the next day’s bake. We are looking for a pastry assistant who is excited about contributing to our beverage and pastry production and who takes delight working with a well-run, creative, and drama-free team. We especially welcome professionals who have the intention to commit to the role for at least a year. This full-time position starts at $16.50 an hour.
You are a master of consistency and refinement -- thorough, attentive, and precise with your work. Our kitchen’s success depends on how well we communicate with each other, take care of our own stations and messes, and keep our eyes on time-sensitive things like sugar on the burner. From preparing cookie dough and marshmallows for the upcoming day to refilling our inventory of chocolate drinks for the café, you willingly jump into the task with an eye for detail. We are looking for someone who is a good communicator, punctual, kind, fastidious, and eager to learn.
- Prepare ganaches for hot chocolates so that the cafes can meet each day’s customer demand
- Prepare batters and doughs
- Cut marshmallows, scoop dough, and related prep tasks
- Follow through on daily assignments
- Keep the kitchen clean and organized by abiding by all hygiene and safety best practices
- Other tasks as necessary
- Two years of previous pastry experience
- Availability on weekends
- Passion for chocolate and pastry
- Willingness to work hard and jump in when needed (e.g. sweep floors, wash dishes, lift heavy items)
- Extremely proactive and detail-oriented -- doesn’t take short-cuts even when others might not notice
- Great communication skills -- a good listener who asks questions when something doesn’t make sense.
- Takes ownership of personal development and learning. Provides and welcomes the opportunity to receive feedback.
- Positive, enthusiastic attitude -- people like to work with you, you prioritize a team win over your individual gain, and you proactively help to make this a great place to work by minimizing any drama or politics.
- Comfortable doing repetitive tasks
- Food Handler’s Safety Certificate upon hire
- Available to work full-time
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our 401k program. Hourly employees receive paid vacation time and sick time. In addition, our team members enjoy commuter benefits, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Dandelion is growing and we are invested in employees who take ownership over their role and are interested in contributing in a bigger way with us. If you are interested, we’d like to see your resume and cover letter, including a paragraph about your favorite food experience or influence and what excites you about the prospect of working in a single origin chocolate pastry kitchen. Keep in mind that we value passion, attitude, and hard work above just experience, so tell us what inspires you in food and why you would like to work with us.