Dandelion Chocolate is a bean-to-bar chocolate factory in San Francisco's Mission District. We make chocolate from only two ingredients, cocoa beans and cane sugar, and travel to origins as often as we can to build good, trusting relationships with the producers who grow and ferment our beans. Our business is built upon trust and partnership, and now we're looking for a full-time People Operations Administrator to oversee the health of our systems & processes so we can maintain the same high standard for trust, care, and camaraderie within our internal team.
A Day in this Role
A chocolate factory encounters surprises each day -- beans fall off ships, pipes burst, and permits get lost in city hall’s shuffle. Despite inevitable hiccups, we’ve developed a knack for seamless operations through a homegrown system of reminders, checklists, audits, and documentation. Through our internal dashboard, we can track whether managers are current with their team reviews, whether the quarterly safety audits are on schedule, and whether the air conditioning filter needs to be changed. We don’t quite operate like clockwork but… almost!
We’ve built the infrastructure to monitor our systems and you’ll be responsible for the upkeep, health, and reliability of our internal operations. When the systems start to fray, it’s inevitably because the team is understaffed, documentation is poorly written, or machine parts are still in the mail. It’s your job to sleuth out the culprit issue and make our systems even more robust for the next season!
A typical day might start with looking at the dashboard and noting that some managers need a gentle reminder to complete their team member’s annual reviews. Later you see some weekly tasks have slipped with our Chocolate Experiences team, and you realize that two key members are out this week so you temporarily assign the tasks to the Café team. At the end of the day, you overhear someone wonder whether we have Veteran’s Day off so you proactively update our Intranet so that this information is more easily in reach. This full-time position starts at $18/hour.
You will learn how to deliberately design a strategic culture based upon world-class business & operational practices. Our ideal candidate is a positive, type-A, tech-savvy, zero-ego, zero-drama person who loves to-do lists, finely-honed processes, and who can find the right words to finesse any situation. While you'll inherit checklists, handbooks, presentations, and FAQs to manage the most unexpected situations, nothing replaces sound judgment and empathy. We look for candidates with the maturity to work with confidential information and with the life experience to recognize that there is rarely a clear "right vs. wrong" or "us vs. them." We're all imperfect but well-intentioned people trying to build great things together.
Your drive for excellence is the infrastructural backbone for some of the best chocolate and chocolate experiences in the world. A chocolate factory is a unique environment and this role is unlike any other so we expect to train you. While it’s an entry level role, you’ll hit the ground running and be immediately responsible for key operations across the entire organization.
- Leadership: As a member of the People Operations team and a key driver of internal initiatives, you’ll be trusted with confidential information. You maintain privileged information and model our values of integrity, teamwork, adaptability, and excellence in all of your tasks and actions. Because of you, there is no “us vs. them.” You build unity & cooperation throughout the entire organization.
- Oversee Internal Operations: Oversee and maintain our internal reminder and auditing system. Develop to-do lists, documentation, and reminder systems to ensure that any programs and HR initiatives are easy to maintain for the long-term of the business.
- Assist with People Operations: Oversee ETP reporting, team statistics, assist with safety operations, and handle periodic audits to ensure that the company is safe, as fair as possible, and fully compliant. Develop and organize resources for professional development, onboarding, and other employee events.
- Document Organization: Maintain sample 90-day plans, performance improvement plans, review templates, and online team surveys in easily available formats to minimize work and make it easier for managers to nurture and lead their teams. Update the Intranet as necessary so folks know where to find the most up-to-date information.
- Scheduling: Assist with scheduling internal classes, all-hands, birthdays, potlucks, and special events. Work closely with recruiting, finance, and other teams to ensure that the recruiting and first-day experiences run smoothly. Organize office activities like potlucks, training programs, and birthday celebrations.
- Systems & Processes: Develop to-do lists, documentation, and reminder systems to ensure that any programs and People Operations initiatives are easy to maintain for the long-term of the business. Write documentation & update how-to tutorials for other teams as necessary. Periodically review materials and make suggestions so that our library of materials will scale long-term.
- Do awesome stuff. Our mission includes crafting chocolate experiences filled with delight and surprises. Similarly, the Dandelion Chocolate employee experience should have surprises too. Unexpected recognition for getting a 100% on the safety food handlers exam. Great! Spearheading family meals to make it easy for teams to spend time with each other. Even better! Developing a day-in-the-life program where anyone can shadow someone else on a team. Love it!
- Other tasks as necessary
- Detail-oriented: Positive, type-A, buttoned-up, and detail-oriented. No matter how insurmountable a task seems, you can break it into individual milestones with easy-to-read bullets that almost anyone can follow.
- Technical skills: Fluent with computer skills like Google Docs, Spreadsheets, and presentation tools like Keynote or Powerpoint. You’ll be inheriting a lot of materials and while we don’t expect you to know every shortcut key and feature, it helps to feel comfortable picking up new tools and tricks. If you haven’t created spreadsheets with formulas before, you aren’t afraid of digging in and learning something new. HTML is also a huge bonus for editing website forms.
- Writing finesse: Your emails reflect a caring tone with clear, concise content. If managers need to be nagged a few times to follow-up on a team member annual review, they’d like that nudge to come from you.
- English fluency. Spanish & Japanese are a huge plus.
- Legally authorized to work in the U.S.
- While life is always unpredictable and this is an at-will engagement, we look for candidates who have the intent to commit to this role for a minimum of one year. You’ll be working on systems that will take multiple years to hone and improve. It helps to have a longer-term perspective in mind.
Dandelion Chocolate constantly invests in its people and culture. We offer excellent perks including subsidized medical, life, vision, and dental benefits as well as the option to enroll in our commuter benefits, FSA, and 401k programs. We offer paid vacation and sick time to our employees. Our team members also enjoy professional development classes, local gym discounts, and lots of chocolate and pastry tasting opportunities.
How to Apply
Dandelion Chocolate is growing and we are interested in individuals who want to contribute in a bigger way with us. You will stand out from the crowd and boost the likelihood of being considered for this opportunity if your resume is accompanied with a cover letter with a few sentences about your favorite company culture tradition. We look forward to hearing from you!